Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Red Diode from the PHR-803T sled

So, I've been driving my red laser diode from the XBOX HD-DVD sled with an LM 317, just to prove I could extract the diode in a working condition, but I haven't really jacked up the power on the diode. I wondered what kind of optical power I would be able to get out of that diode 'safely'..what current would be required to do that?

Sort of an ancillary question, but with ~650nm (??) wavelength from that diode, what sort of mW optical power will I need for the red beam to be visible at night, with NO smoke?

Thanks-

Last edited by a moderator:

Kevlar

Re: Red Diode from BDR-205 sled

I can see my beam from my LOC at night. It's putting out about 260mW.

BTW, your title "Red Diode from BDR-205 sled". You state you're using a red diode from the XBOX HD-DVD sled, that isn't the BDR-205 sled. The BDR-205 sled is the Pioneer 12X blu-ray sled and I think the red diode is a 3.8mm diode...

BTW, your title "Red Diode from BDR-205 sled". You state you're using a red diode from the XBOX HD-DVD sled, that isn't the BDR-205 sled. The BDR-205 sled is the Pioneer 12X blu-ray sled and I think the red diode is a 3.8mm diode...

Yeah your right I had my wires crossed, it was from the phr 803t. What current and driver are you running to get 260 mw?

Kevlar

Yeah your right I had my wires crossed, it was from the phr 803t. What current and driver are you running to get 260 mw?

It was one of my first builds and I went cheap, got a rckstr driver (cheap in price but a good driver). The max for the rckstr driver is about 440mA, on my test load my DMM read 434mA with the pot turned all the way to least resistance. (its in my sig) :beer:

Last edited:

Aww got my hopes up for an interesting SmOC build.

Anyone have spare little reds from 8x Bluray BDR-203 or BDR-205 that you would part with for a song? :san: Is it Christmas yet?

Last edited:

What's an LOC? And hows it different from a SMOC?

daguin

Anyone have spare little reds from 8x Bluray BDR-203 or BDR-205 that you would part with for a song?

Can you sing out $10 each? :whistle:

I have a few of the SmOC diodes from the BDR sled

Yeah your right I had my wires crossed, it was from the phr 803t.

I fixed it for you ;)

BTW - The LOC is NOT the same as the red from the PHR sled. The red from the PHR is a reader, NOT a burner. You will not be getting anywhere near what Kevlar got

Peace,
dave

Last edited:
BTW - The LOC is NOT the same as the red from the PHR sled. The red from the PHR is a reader, NOT a burner. You will not be getting anywhere near what Kevlar got

Peace,
dave

Took the words out of my mouth. I cant believe no one picked up on that.

Okay, so what should I be expecting in terms of power output and current input?

Laser in a dvd reader is going to be 5mw or less usually. Generally not considered worth the trouble of harvesting unless you just want to practice.

Most people toss it, or use it as practice like you did. The diode is red, and IR combined. From what I've read its a 40/45mW output. 40mW being from the red. One member got the red up to 55mW, then it died.

Hmmm 40mW is more then I thought they would be since most people just say 5.

does anyone know which pins for the red diode from the phr are you suppose to hook up