Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Recycle old broken LCD panels for an alternative use

HIMNL9

Just another crazy idea from your friendly mad scentist :p

If you have around a broken LCD panel, from a notebook, or also better, from a monitor, and you need a luminous plane for draws tracking, you can build it yourself very easy.

The idea started when my little cousins asked me for a draw tracking panel for track al the images they have to do for school researches ..... looked around, but here is not a common article, and professional ones have a price that is simply absurd, for give them to little kids.

But i had some old broken 15" LCD panels around in the shop, to throw away, that i kept for take away the polarization film (for an experiment i had in mind), and they still had the lamps good, so i thought, "what the hell, why not ?", and dismantled them ..... then took a piece of plexiglass larger than the panel, glued the back part of the dismantled panel on it, with a second layer of plexiglass under it (Glass was better, but no glass, they go in the hands of kids, and cannot expect that little kids may be too much delicate :p), and closed between the plexiglass layers the panel with the diffuser and the lamp, and also the switching elevator (safety, safety), making in a corner just the space for a power connector (the plates are powered with an external 12V power supply), and using strips of plexiglass for make the borders and keep the two panels at the right distance.

So, now both them have their own DIY "futuristic-look" (circuit and wires and the rest seen in transparency don't look bad, if the mount is made well) tracking plates, are happy to show them to the friends (also if is not good to say, unique pieces always cause a bit of envy :p), and i recycled parts that, otherwise, i had to throw away.

By the way, this also gave me another crazy idea, but i'm still building this last one ..... the third one, she become 7 in a pair of weeks ..... she always want a light in the bedroom (she's scared from darkness :p) ..... and she's also a good drawer at school (for her age, she have more proportion sense than me, at 47 :p) ..... so i thought, if i take another broken panel i have here, dismantle it, insert the backplane and lamp inside a fancy paint border (how do you call them ? ..... picture frame for wall mount ?) with a large border, putting in the border all the electronics, a little circuit with a hidden photocell for turn it on and off at night and regulate the luminosity, and a front plexiglass transparent plate that can be opened and closed easily .... so she can put her draws into it, and also use them as night light ..... suppose that can be a good gift, as a birthday present :p

What do you think, am i crazy enough, or do i need more practice ? :crackup:

DO it! I want to see the results!

Sounds like a neat-o project, but I have no LCD panels just lying around like you do lol.

HIMNL9

LOL, ok, i don't have at home the plates, they're at cousins home, but can take pics of the frame, when i have finished it.

And i'm also planning to make another plate, more "professional", for a friend, but need first to ask a client that carried me a 15" monitor that have LCD panel broken (he said he got nervous with Win, and punched the monitor, LOL) ..... i've ordered a new 17" one for him, and if he say me that i can keep the broken one, i use it for the plate (monitors have 2 lamps inside, so more light, also if not thin as the notebook ones, and being not for kids, i can use glass plate too)

NICE idea! I have an old 32" LCD tv with cracked screen! recon i could do something cool with it?

HIMNL9

you can make a digital projector from a lcd panel

Already done :whistle: ..... times ago, using a good LCD glass panel, and a backlight projector (or whatever you call them ..... are these old units for project on a wall the draws that you made on transparents).

You need to take a lot of care with the lateral contacts, anyway, cause is enough to touch them with fingers, sometimes, for burn them (EXTREMELY sensitive to ESD :p)

NICE idea! I have an old 32" LCD tv with cracked screen! recon i could do something cool with it?

..... a mega wall picture frame for the transparent pics of your preferred pinups ? ..... :eg: :D

I've got a few, but I wouldn't know what to feed the inverter for the lamp or which wires feed the inverter.

The lamp in my room is an old 19" LCD... When I bought it, it cost me $450, I used it for a week, then I turned around in my room too fast and my backpack knocked the LCD off my desk, destroying it... So, I simply removed the cracked panel and I use the backlight to illuminate my room... Most expensive lamp I've ever owned.

HIMNL9

Sorry for the delay, but i'm really kept from home repairs, in these days, so no more free time.

I've finished just one of the two i'm working on (the other, the whole cousin family is in bed with h1n1-A flu, so birthday party delayed of at least 3 weeks ..... maybe i reach to finish also that in time :p)

Anyway, as said, here's some pics of the new light plate i made with the monitor part ..... i got am old flatbed scanner, as container ..... first, i "shortened" it, taking away part of the border (same for the bottom part), so i made it 30 mm high

attachment.php

Then, i glued the plate with the lamps and the switching psu inside (i used Bostik glue, for that, it remain bit elastic, and keep the glued parts together as hell, once it's perfectly dried) ..... the plate is glued just on the borders, using "drops" of glue

attachment.php

I also added a connector for the 12V psu and a potentiometer for the bright regulation (so if i have to use it in dimmed light, can reduce it and it's not too fastidious), glued with gray epoxy resin

attachment.php

Then i closed and fixed all with some little screws all around the border, and here's the result (the pic looks green cause the room is lighted with neons, and i had to reduce the level of the cam, otherwise the plate was looking too bright)

attachment.php

The light is enough for use it also in full lighted room (but not in full sunlight, the sun it's too strong :p)

Once i completed the picture frame, i post also these pics.

Attachments

• lightboard01.jpg
    lightboard01.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 7,155
  • lightboard02.jpg
    lightboard02.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 6,999
  • lightboard03.jpg
    lightboard03.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 6,729
  • lightboard04.jpg
    lightboard04.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 6,882
Does any old notebook or laptop have a LCD Display in it ?...............rob

HIMNL9

Well, any notebook have a screen, so basically, all them have a backlight panel, if is that what you mean.

The only exceptions are the new "OLED / PLED" ones.

For fit a glass plate like the one i used (an A4 scanner, i mean), you need at least a 15" 4/3 size, or a 17" 16/9 size ..... but if instead you use a pair of plexiglass plates for make the container, then you can build it in any size you want ;)

And, if you find desktop monitors, they are more thick, but also more bright.

Thanks for the info. I have a BROTHERS NOTE-PAD that has a small screen, about
6" X 9". That should make a nice small frame for PIX............

HIMNL9

Broken, i hope ..... no reason for break a notepad, just for that :D

Anyway, if the unit is still turning on, check for the lamp for see if works (otherwise is unhelpful), and also, i suggest you, before to dismantle all, to check for the various voltages on the connector of the switching board, so you know after where to connect the wires ..... just cause not all the manufacturers make them in the same way (or, better said, is difficult to find 2 manufacturers that do them in the same way, LOL)

Basically, you need to find GND (the negative pole), +V (usually is 12V, i don't know if exists any of them working at 5V, but i never found one, til now), the turn-on signal pin (in 90% of the ases, is connected to GND when the light is ON), and the bright control pin (that can have any voltage, usually you find it better putting the bright to the minimum, for maximize the difference)

Some old unit had the pot of the bright directly connected to the board, but actually all the units uses a voltage level from the MB.

It's NOT broken. I just don't have any use for it. Thanks for the wiring tips. My electrical knowledge leaves a lot to be desired. LOL..........