Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Recent advances in self-frequency-doubling crystals

kecked

I happily take your unit off your hands. I use them for lumia.

Youch! That is tough news, WizardG. Mine is staying stable every time I fire it up. Did you get a very early model, or was this one of the last units they mailed out?

WizardG

LPF Site Supporter
@ Paul: Not sure as I got mine through another member here who got it from the Aussie reseller, but I think it was one of the later units as it has the updated driver. I really hope they do another run of these crystals.

And sorry kecked, I like lumia too :cool: I think I'll hold on to this one at least until I know I can get another!

Yeah, if you didn't pounce on these when they were first revealed, you do run the risk of getting something that was pot modded improperly and is just waiting to fail. I feel for you. You might consider backing the current off of the pump diode a bit and see what you get then. It just MIGHT fall back into place.

kecked

I wonder if they drive these so hard the pump is dying and not the crystal. Anyone try to tec cool the diode? If they were not so rare I’d like to see a liquid nitrogen dip.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
It is worth checking the pump diode if possible. I sincerely hope it isn't due to the crystal degrading. With that wavelength, less power and longer lifetime would be more desirable IMO.

LSRFAQ

They knew:

Quoting a paper I'm trying to access "However the Yb:xx laser displays a slow degradation in power over the …"

I'm still trying to get the paper, I can only see part of the quote... Looks like you got that small group of lasers due to a known, published, crystal degradation.

Steve

That is interesting if you can get the rest of the paper. Do we actually know that this crystal is the one they are talking about in this paper? My laser is still functioning just fine. No appreciable decrease in power. But, I am still interested in knowing more about it.

LSRFAQ

See attached.
Most of the YB host crystals cannot make it out to 575 nm.. YAB's efficiency is so poor at that wavelength, that it is unlikely to be used.
Most likely SVAP.

Chart deleted, I do not feel like angering a copyright holder.

Steve

Last edited:

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Yep, Yb:SVAP was the most likely option I came up with a while back. Fits many of the criteria but still not definite.
SVAP is the only medium I have come across that has mentioned 575nm specifically. As for the doping, I am pretty certain on it being Yb.

Last edited:

LSRFAQ

I knew what it was last summer with a high confidence.

. The problem being I did not want a gazillion people trying to buy a medium that was not working well. Or suggest the wrong medium.
At least from one vendor.

Besides, without the orientation angles for cutting the crystal, it is pretty hopeless to buy SVAP and just wish that it works. That angle will vary a few degrees from melt to melt in all likelihood. Notice what is rarely included in the papers, if ever, the orientation angle!!!! The cut is determined in most cases by X-ray crystallography and optically in the other cases.

Steve