Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Really cool case from Z-Bolt!

Just received my 450nm Z-Bolt blue laser and thought I'd share the carrying case they give you as it looked pretty neat. This model was pretty expensive around $80 let's say so I am not positive if this is like this for all their pointers or if this is only once you reach a certain price point :can:

Anyway, my favorite part has to be the front with the American flag, I've never seen that on a case and I think it makes it look pretty cool, it looks good agaisnt the black finish of the case. As you can see the "Z-Bolt" logo is also featured on the top left and the back is pretty much the same, just company information.

On the inside, you see the metal round gold piece? I thought it went on the actual laser, like an attachment but it actually is like a handle, it lifts the foam padding out so you can reach underneath for what ever reason, kinda cool :) Picture time! :gh:

11918-img-2421-2.jpg
11919-img-2422-2.jpg
11920-img-2423-2.jpg

:)

-Alex

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Alex, that's a very nice looking laser and a sharp looking case! :cool:
That brushed silver with polished brass accents is very classy!
To me, that gold "coin" thing looks like a keychain with the Z-Bolt logo on it.

Is that a 5mW 450nm?

Last edited:
Alex, that's a very nice looking laser and a sharp looking case! :cool:
To me, that gold "coin" thing looks like a keychain with the Z-Bolt logo on it.

Is that a 5mW 450nm?

Hey Bowtie!

Yep, this is a 6mW 450nm unit, and they actually included a lanyard to carry the laser with. If you try to pull the gold round part off, the foam comes off with it too :)

-Alex

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
I was looking on their site and it says it comes with an accessory end cap for the lanyard, maybe that's what the gold piece is?
Maybe it's just stuck to the foam.

Last edited:
I was looking on their site and it says it comes with an accessory end cap for the lanyard, maybe that's what the gold piece is?
Maybe it's just stuck to the foam.

Just tried to peel it off, it seems stuck in there at least from feeling around it. I'll just leave it in, I probably won't use the lanyard so it'll be a piece of collection :D

-Alex

WizardG

LPF Site Supporter
One of my first 532's was a Z-bolt. Nice little pen....until I tried to pot-mod it.

Benm

Z-bolt is one of the companies that gets things like thermal design right. They don't seem to be selling any high power items anymore, but back in the day they were one of the only companies that made powerful 532s that could actually run continously.

At these low power levels that's not much of an issue, but i suppose you still get the product with a power rating as a specified, and without any duty cycle limitations or other BS.

One of my first 532's was a Z-bolt. Nice little pen....until I tried to pot-mod it.

Yeah, I won't be trying to mod this one that's for sure :D

Z-bolt is one of the companies that gets things like thermal design right. They don't seem to be selling any high power items anymore, but back in the day they were one of the only companies that made powerful 532s that could actually run continously.

At these low power levels that's not much of an issue, but i suppose you still get the product with a power rating as a specified, and without any duty cycle limitations or other BS.

Yes, Z-Bolt's lasers are simple, classy and output what you payed for. What more do you need? :D

-Alex

Omg! I forgot all about Zbolt, they're still around? I had no idea, they were the first company I bought from back in Jr high 15 years ago. I think I forgot all about them because if I remember correctly, they didn't have anything more than 5mw? No sure now.

Omg! I forgot all about Zbolt, they're still around? I had no idea, they were the first company I bought from back in Jr high 15 years ago. I think I forgot all about them because if I remember correctly, they didn't have anything more than 5mw? No sure now.

I think they sell pointers now only, not sure. That's the only thing I could afford on their website right now anyways :D

-Alex

Benm

Yeah, i think they switched to only selling low power pointers some time ago, possibly for legal reasons.

They still seem to be getting things right though, and still aren't cheap either. But then again with z-bolt you'd get the product as advertised - back in the day usually over spec, and now just bang on the 5 mW limit.

I guess they could still be modded though, the enclosure is overkill for 5 mW, especially the direct diode ones. I doubt you'll find a pot in there these days though, but perhaps some current setting resistor that could be tweaked to get a bit more output ;)

Why don't you put that emblem on an lanyard and wear it with the foam... just saying!!!
Sweet pen though. I like the color

Congratulations, Alex. I see you are actively building your collection back up. For now. :crackup:

Congratulations, Alex. I see you are actively building your collection back up. For now. :crackup:

:shhh: :shhh: :shhh: :shhh: :shhh: lol. I think after buying the 589 im pretty much done, for now. Sure, there are some oddball wavelengths out there like those new diodes, but I'll need to figure those out when time comes. :)

-Alex