Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

RDTech's Maglite 2D, Peak 2.3W

Jaxz

I received my RDTech's Maglite 2D on the 06th of March 2012. Here are some photos of the review:

Let's see how RDTech wraps his products. Package unopened:
p3060190a.jpg

Inside reveals an oblong shape box seal with scotch tapes:
p3060191.jpg

Upon opening the box reveals a chunk of Bubble wrap. It is not taped together but it's okay for me i guess, so long the product doesn't run about in the package during shipment and causes bumps. Opened up the bubble wrap easily by hand since it isn't tape together tight. :
p3060192.jpg

Opening up the top cap of the Maglite reveals his handiwork: I myself owned another 2D Maglite that average an output power of 1.4W. It was made by Jayrob and DTR and I know how DTR and Jayrob construct my Magkit. This following picture taken below reveals RDTech's handiwork, for you guys to see. I tried touching the the wires lightly, it feels stiff, not the usual silicon wires. The connection of the wires from the Maglite host and the driver wires are also taped with electrical tapes instead of the usual heat shrinking tubes. Thing about Electrical tapes is that they have very short life span comparing to real proper shrinking tubes. I have got to be careful after 1 or 2 years later, to remember to removed the corroded tapes and replace it with proper heat shinking tubes. As for the driver, I didn't opened up the Tapes enshrouding the Flexmod P3, hopefully it is well installed. For your judgement peeps:
p3060193.jpg

DTR's g-2 Lens unwrapped:
p3060194a.jpg

Small and cute package covered with bubble wrap. Looks well protected:
p3060195.jpg

The Final product. Sadly, no spring included:
p3060196.jpg

Will try and upload the video now into youtube. Though the internal of the unit wasn't as well constructed as compared to my existing 2D Maglite, RDTech's 2D Maglite well perform up to my expectations. It has a maximum of 2.3W output power, and sustain above 2W for more than 4 minutes of constant run! My expectations is >2W of Final output power for after 3 minutes of constant run in my hot South-east Asian Climate. RDTech's 2D Maglite outperforms than my existing 2D Maglite!

The unit is measured by my nospin's OEM Thermopile D.I.Y. LPM, video taken using a compact camera. The unit is carefully adjusted to the centre of the Thermopile prior the video shooting, at the distance of about 70mm between the unit and the surface of the thermopile.

After more than 4 mins of constant run, I am please about its heat dissipation. I used an IR thermometer which I bought from Deal Extreme, the ambient temperature of my room is about 29⁰c (it's a very warm and humid night, I will be sweating if not for my fan blowing behind me) and yet the surface of the Aluminium Heatsink of my RDTech's is only about 32⁰c! Much cooler than my existing 2D Maglite! Excellent!

YouTube - RDTech's 2D Maglite, M140 diode, 2W, 445nm, G-2 Lens

As I am more concern about it's burning power, I'm not too worried about it's divergence. As far as I know, I did a rough shot to the sky and at the woods hundreds of meters away, the beam is still ok, looks tight and thin enough, and the dot looked like a small line. I am not too concern about it. This will be my new laser burner than my current 2D maglite! If requested, I will upload some beamshots.

Last edited:

DTR

Nice review. On the spring question. The springs are part of the Aixiz modules. I am assuming you got one with your kit to mount the diode and it would be with that. Also only the three element lenses can use springs. There is just no room for either an internal or external spring with the single element lenses due to how close they sit to the diode.:beer:

Jaxz

I see, thank you. Anyway no problem yea RDTech delivered without the springs but I understand I can do without the Springs,

By the way, uploading complete. Video is up and O/P edited. Enjoy.

Last edited:

jayrob

I myself owned another 2D Maglite that average an output power of 1.4W. It was made by Jayrob and DTR and I know how DTR and Jayrob construct my Magkit. This following picture taken below reveals RDTech's handiwork, for you guys to see.

Just a little side note... RDTech got the heatsink from me for that build. (thanks RDTech)

Nice build! :cool:

RDTech

Thanks.

Sorry, they are soldered, electrical tape is fine in some areas since the heatsink/driver area is not supposed to be moved. The Laser Driver is wrapped with high grade Teflon tape.

I'm glad you like it and it performs to spec.

Mitch

DJNY

You shouldn´t post addresses on the open forum, you never know.. :beer:

Simply blur the address field with paint e.g.

Not that his info, (or the info of many people on the forum) is secret or anything, but you should also in general mask your name, and the name of the sender.

Nice laser you have there:beer:

Jaxz

Roger that, corrected, sorry about it. Thanks for informing.