Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Radical animal rights group Sea Shepherd uses green lasers against Japanese boat

Rob

Jesus Christ, how stupid can people be! Ugh I can't stand radical animal right's activists...

I don't even see why they care the japanese kill a few whales... australians kill more animals than the japanese do, why are whales special?

I don't even see why they care the japanese kill a few whales... australians kill more animals than the japanese do, why are whales special?

Because whales are majestic and "cute" enough to deserve human rights.

You will never see an animal rights activist strap himself to the end of a dock, holding a sign that says, "Be kind to Carp"... will you?

It's just an excuse to be able to shine lasers at people.

XD

Because whales are majestic and "cute" enough to deserve human rights.

You will never see an animal rights activist strap himself to the end of a dock, holding a sign that says, "Be kind to Carp"... will you?

indeed.... People anthropomorphize the animals they don't eat culturally so much they force their cultural eating habits on others... although the Indians are kind enough to not suicide bomb cattle farms.

will

:thinking: Do you mean kill in cold blood, kill for food? Could you be more precise before you go and accuse a nation of "killing more animals than another country". You may think I'm overreacting a bit here but I just don't like my country being accused of killings without anything to back it up.

People may feel strongly about it because the japanese are claiming to be killing them in the name of science. But so far, they haven't released any papers on what they have found, haven't proved that they are performing valid scientific tests to help the species, or anything really. The only thing we actually know is that more whale meat has appeared on the Japanese market :whistle:.
As well as this, they know that there are laws concerning the kiling of whales in nearly all waters, apart from Antarctica ofcourse due to no country actually governing it. So they sit back and wait for the whales to migrate to the Antarctica waters and then set sail to kill and drag them aboard.
A number of the species they slaughter are protected, endangered species that, years ago, were almost brought to the brink of extinction, but as their protection laws are not valid in those waters around Antarctica they can be killed in great numbers.
Developed countries have pleaded with Japan many times to cease their "scientific research"or atleast provide proof to research, however they have responded always the same: "No".
This is why people may feel "strongly" about the killing of whales. And to your remarks that there are other animals that animal activists do not seem to care about, well are they endangered? Are they being slaughtered? The carp, here in Australia, is listed as a noxious fish meaning they compete with the native wildlife. And many Australian animal activists do protest to the killing and mistreatment of many of native animals, it just doesn't make worldwide news. Just a few months ago, a dozen koalas or so were mutilated, limbs chopped off, etc. And now the stupid Bligh government is considering a train route through known koala territory.

Although, all of this is not to say I support this ill-thought act of shining a laser at a vessel. There is a line that is drawn between animal activism and the radical sibling of it. That act with the laser is on the radical side.

Geez, I seem to have rambled on a bit here haven't I? Lol.

:thinking: Do you mean kill in cold blood, kill for food? Could you be more precise before you go and accuse a nation of "killing more animals than another country". You may think I'm overreacting a bit here but I just don't like my country being accused of killings without anything to back it up.

People may feel strongly about it because the japanese are claiming to be killing them in the name of science. But so far, they haven't released any papers on what they have found, haven't proved that they are performing valid scientific tests to help the species, or anything really. The only thing we actually know is that more whale meat has appeared on the Japanese market :whistle:.
As well as this, they know that there are laws concerning the kiling of whales in nearly all waters, apart from Antarctica ofcourse due to no country actually governing it. So they sit back and wait for the whales to migrate to the Antarctica waters and then set sail to kill and drag them aboard.
A number of the species they slaughter are protected, endangered species that, years ago, were almost brought to the brink of extinction, but as their protection laws are not valid in those waters around Antarctica they can be killed in great numbers.
Developed countries have pleaded with Japan many times to cease their "scientific research"or atleast provide proof to research, however they have responded always the same: "No".
This is why people may feel "strongly" about the killing of whales. And to your remarks that there are other animals that animal activists do not seem to care about, well are they endangered? Are they being slaughtered? The carp, here in Australia, is listed as a noxious fish meaning they compete with the native wildlife. And many Australian animal activists do protest to the killing and mistreatment of many of native animals, it just doesn't make worldwide news. Just a few months ago, a dozen koalas or so were mutilated, limbs chopped off, etc. And now the stupid Bligh government is considering a train route through known koala territory.

Although, all of this is not to say I support this ill-thought act of shining a laser at a vessel. There is a line that is drawn between animal activism and the radical sibling of it. That act with the laser is on the radical side.

Geez, I seem to have rambled on a bit here haven't I? Lol.

I'm not claiming that austrailians kill more XD just that in general predominately white countries like australia or a america or britain kill even more biomass per person than the japanese. So we can't get our panties in a knot just because we don't like the particular animals they kill. And it's not like the japanese are being cruel, at least they don't stuff the whales into a cage their entire life then hang them upside down for hours and slit their throat. They let them live a natural life, as opposed to what we do to cows or chickens.

And I suppose you're right, the japanese shouldn't lie about killing things for science, but people kill endangered animals everywhere. Poachers, illegal trappers, etc. will kill things and not even eat the meat, just sell the skin to some rich lady so she can wear furs around so she can think she's attractive. In my mind, if I were an endangered animal I'd rather be eaten than turned into some b*tches coat.

good luck,
will

If the United States wanted them to stop something, they'd make them stop. Obviously the US doesn't care enough to. But don't we kinda still own them? I mean isn't 9 US military installments spread across a very small island countre a bit overkill lol? :D

If the United States wanted them to stop something, they'd make them stop. Obviously the US doesn't care enough to. But don't we kinda still own them? I mean isn't 9 US military installments spread across a very small island countre a bit overkill lol? :D

well, we have those "whale wars" people, but as displayed by south park they are huge b*tches who can't actually do anything XD
and we have too much military everywhere.... even in peacetime we have installments everywhere.

will

Interesting question, what laser laws apply in international waters?

Interesting question, what laser laws apply in international waters?

I wonder, I know the geneva convention forbids lasers over a certain power level from being used in warfare... At least for blinding people. A while ago, I think china got in a bit of trouble for using a chemical laser to blind a US marine, but they couldn't confirm this was what happened so the issue has really never come up.

will

The Japanese like to eat endangered animals (whale, rhino, tiger, etc).
Brings that "Circle of Life" song, from the Lion King, into my head. Part of me thinks it's wrong... part of me wants to be able to harpoon one before they become extinct. As far as the laser attacks.. That's a bit worse than the ultrasonic weapon the whalers use against the activists. Ain't war grand?