Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Radiant X4: A LPM for the masses at Illumination Supply!

Jstr

I didn't see anything on the max power the new ones can measure, is it the same as the x4? 3.7W?

ARG

5W max power, and a significantly higher damage threshold than the X4.

Last edited:

Jstr

Sweet.

Excuse my ignorance, but why is damage threshold important?

ARG

Damage threshold is a measure of the maximum power density that can be applied to the sensor (typically measured in W/cm^2). When measuring a laser it's best to make the beam take up as much of the sensor area as possible. The X4 was rated at 3.7W maximum power, but some lasers under the maximum power rating has small beams, which meant that they exceeded the damage threshold.

The high damage threshold on the new LPM ensures that 5W lasers that cannot be unfocused to cover the entire sensor area can still be measured. It also protects against lasers that are accidently focused to a burning point on the sensor.

The high damage threshold on the new LPM ensures that 5W lasers that cannot be unfocused to cover the entire sensor area can still be measured. It also protects against lasers that are accidently focused to a burning point on the sensor.

That is a pleasant surprise and a huge improvement, now I am going to have to save money and buy one. I hope they don't sell out in the first 60 days. Is it still a similar design except for the sensor? Still has a display, a computer is optional?

Alan

That is a pleasant surprise and a huge improvement, now I am going to have to save money and buy one. I hope they don't sell out in the first 60 days. Is it still a similar design except for the sensor? Still has a display, a computer is optional?

Alan

Judging by the photos and what he said earlier, there is an interface for external displays optionally. I may be wrong though

ARG

It does not have an external display, and will require a computer.

Think of it as an Ophir head with built in USB support.

Thats what i figured ^, can you take some more pictures when you get the chance?

ARG

can you take some more pictures when you get the chance?

This was the best I could get, couldn't get the lighting at the optimal angle for good contrast. The whole thing is flat black so there's very little contrast :p

8xF9yAh.png

KvHTNSR.jpg

Edit: Have an update as well :) Finished the final builds for Peregrine and Lightspeed.

Last edited:

gozert

This was the best I could get, couldn't get the lighting at the optimal angle for good contrast. The whole thing is flat black so there's very little contrast :p

Edit: Have an update as well :) Finished the final builds for Peregrine and Lightspeed.

Looks promising for sure. Are you able to give us an indication of what the price will be? Or a price range would be fine too.