Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Question about PL-E Mini 520nm

Hey guys, so I got my PL-E Mini 520nm 1 watt pointer today, its awesome!
I use a pair of 16340 batts for it, but all my 16340s are cheap crap and last only a tiny bit on this Mini monster. I have a bunch of authentic 18650 however, they are super good and I generally use them for my high drain flashlights and one of my lasers. After seeing some people online using 18650 batteries for the PL-E 520 lasers, I was wondering if I can do the same.
The website states that the laser uses 16340s and I know that usually putting the wrong battery into a laser will kill it, but after seeing some exceptions online I got curious. Anyone know?
Thank you. :D

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
One 18650 battery will not work in your PL-E Mini 520nm.
If it requires two 16340's which is equal to 8.4V, one 18650 at 4.2V won't be enough voltage to power it up properly.
Also, the mini's battery compartment won't be long enough for using two 18650 batteries.

Edit: You should try a pair of good 16340 batteries such as AW brand, or another quality brand.

Here is one site that you can try.

Last edited:

Encap

You can try using 2 18350s for longer run time ---email Gray at JetLasers and ask if they will fit in the battery compartment jetlasers@gmail.com

Last edited:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
I tried 18350's in my PL-E Mini 465nm, and they were very close to being too long, it was real difficult to get the tailcap threads started.

Here is my PL-E 465nm mini review that shows the use of the two different batteries.

Last edited:
Battery Junction offers high quality EFEST 18350s and you can be sure they are real..they have anti-counterfitting hologram.

The *will* fit in my JL Yamataka but as Jeff noted the tailcap is a little harder to get threaded at first.. AFAIK underpowering cannot do harm and some JLs will still work but at a reduced power.
ALL JETLASERS lasers take the neg to the LD and the + to the tailcap. ALL

ATM I have a JL 10X BE for your laser--new, in stock here in Tx. $90 w/ free CONUS shipping. I also have 10X BEs for Pro PL-Es both in black & silver (& black ProPL-Es 3.5 and 4W 450s and 1W (meters ~1200mW) 520nm... all new w/ full warranty.

PM only plz

Battery Junction offers high quality EFEST 18350s and you can be sure they are real..they have anti-counterfitting hologram.

The *will* fit in my JL Yamataka but as Jeff noted the tailcap is a little harder to get threaded at first.. AFAIK underpowering cannot do harm and some JLs will still work but at a reduced power.
ALL JETLASERS lasers take the neg to the LD and the + to the tailcap. ALL

ATM I have a JL 10X BE for your laser--new, in stock here in Tx. $90 w/ free CONUS shipping. I also have 10X BEs for Pro PL-Es both in black & silver (& black ProPL-Es 3.5 and 4W 450s and 1W (meters ~1200mW) 520nm... all new w/ full warranty.

PM only plz

A BE sounds nice but $90 is a bit much for me even if its free shipping. I just spent $770 on a tooth today for root canal and apparently the problem is still there so my bank account is under furious attack by greedy dentists.

Encap

A BE sounds nice but $90 is a bit much for me even if its free shipping. I just spent $770 on a tooth today for root canal and apparently the problem is still there so my bank account is under furious attack by greedy dentists.

The PL-E Mini 520nm data sheet says:
Power Supply 2x16340s/RCR123A/18350
Working Voltage 7V

Would guess they know what they are saying and it can take 18350 batteries

Email Gray to confirm--18350 is a much better battery if you can use those instead of 16340

The PL-E Mini 520nm data sheet says:
Power Supply 2x16340s/RCR123A/18350
Working Voltage 7V

Would guess they know what they are saying and it can take 18350 batteries

Email Gray to confirm--18350 is a much better battery if you can use those instead of 16340

Oh cool thanks. :)

Edit: Do you think these are good? : https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Pack-Nitecore-IMR-18350-NI18350A-700mAh-Rechargeable-Batteries-7A-3-7v/331590256659?epid=1739418868&hash=item4d3451c813:g:dc4AAOSw-vlVivnn
Or are these better: https://www.amazon.com/LiCB-Battery-1500mAh-Lithium-Rechargeable/dp/B01MCWXJS9/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1510729238&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=18350+battery&psc=1
I know some can lie about their mAh that is why I'm asking.

Last edited:

BobMc

I know this will sound a little paranoid but I'd watch buying batteries on eBay or amazon. There are just so many counterfeits flying around these days. I'd stick to the company's themselves. Yes Nitecore is a good battery. The other one I can't say anything about.

https://www.imrbatteries.com/

https://www.batteryjunction.com/

Best wishes. :)

Last edited:
I know this will sound a little paranoid but I'd watch buying batteries on eBay or amazon. There are just so many counterfeits flying around these days. I'd stick to the company's themselves. Yes Nitecore is a good battery. The other one I can't say anything about.

https://www.imrbatteries.com/

https://www.batteryjunction.com/

Best wishes. :)

Wooow, why are they so cheap on there?? Thank you, I read the reviews before buying them but you are right sometimes you can get screwed.

BobMc

Wooow, why are they so cheap on there?? Thank you, I read the reviews before buying them but you are right sometimes you can get screwed.

Just trying to help. I use to get my batteries off ebay. But found out the hard way. It's not that good an idea. I get most of my battery stuff off of the imr site now adays, have had good fortune with them. :)

Just trying to help. I use to get my batteries off ebay. But found out the hard way. It's not that good an idea. I get most of my battery stuff off of the imr site now adays, have had good fortune with them. :)

Yeah seems like IMR has great deals and good feedback, gonna try ordering a few of 18350s, thank you again!:bowdown:

EDIT: Will it be easier to fit if they are flat tops?

Last edited:
If you buy batteries from ebay, I don't recommend buying from member r-lsales AKA RL-batterydepot. I bought some 26650 batteries from him twice, both times one of the two batteries were completely dead and would not charge & when I contacted him he would not replace it. I had to open a case against him, which I won. When eventually returned to him later, he made a statement to ebay there were arc marks on the battery which was a fabrication. The battery would not take any charge at all, no current would flow to or from the battery & returned in pristine appearing shape.

It's one thing for a seller to send crap that doesn't work, another when they lie about it, he shouldn't be allowed to sell on ebay.

Last edited:

BobMc

Yeah seems like IMR has great deals and good feedback, gonna try ordering a few of 18350s, thank you again!:bowdown:

EDIT: Will it be easier to fit if they are flat tops?

Your more than welcome. Can't say about JL's, using flat or button, I'd check there website and go with what they say? :thinking:

Edit@ Alaskan sorry to hear about your misfortune. I had the same thing happen with "demon fire" batteries. Bought half a dozen or so and had a couple crap out after the first or second charge. Never logged a complaint just won't but any more of them . :(

Last edited:
Hey guys, so I got my PL-E Mini 520nm 1 watt pointer today, its awesome!
I use a pair of 16340 batts for it, but all my 16340s are cheap crap and last only a tiny bit on this Mini monster. I have a bunch of authentic 18650 however, they are super good and I generally use them for my high drain flashlights and one of my lasers. After seeing some people online using 18650 batteries for the PL-E 520 lasers, I was wondering if I can do the same.
The website states that the laser uses 16340s and I know that usually putting the wrong battery into a laser will kill it, but after seeing some exceptions online I got curious. Anyone know?
Thank you. :D

Illumn.com sells Keeppower batteries. Keeppower sells 18350 size batteries. I use this brand. https://www.illumn.com/batteries-ch...l?___store=default&battery_size=290&brand=239