Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Question about lasers.

Hi, This is my first post on this website and I am very new to lasers and I need some help.
I am looking to buy a laser and I have never owned a high powered one before so this will be my first one.
I am looking at three lasers in paticular:

1) 1w Spartan blue laser for 190.00 euro.
2) 400 mW blue Spartan laser for 160.00 euro.
3) 95 mW green Viper laser for 123.00 euro.

The key things I am looking for in a laser is how far the beam and dot can travell horizontally (in miles) and how visable the beam is in day time and night time. I don't really care about burning stuff. All I am looking for is a laser that will go over about 5 miles and will be very bright during day and night.
So one question, which one of the 3 lasers above will fill my needs?
Thanks guys! Try not to make your answer too complicated please because I can't really understand the complicated side of lasers.

mfo

Hi, This is my first post on this website and I am very new to lasers and I need some help.
I am looking to buy a laser and I have never owned a high powered one before so this will be my first one.
I am looking at three lasers in paticular:

The key things I am looking for in a laser is how far the beam and dot can travell horizontally (in miles) and how visable the beam is in day time and night time. I don't really care about burning stuff. All I am looking for is a laser that will go over about 5 miles and will be very bright during day and night.
So one question, which one of the 3 lasers above will fill my needs?
Thanks guys! Try not to make your answer too complicated please because I can't really understand the complicated side of lasers.

1) No way will you ever own a laser that can be seen five miles in the day time.

2) The human eye is most sensitive to green, so your best bet as far as distance goes is green.

GBD

The key things I am looking for in a laser is how far the beam and dot can travell horizontally (in miles) and how visable the beam is in day time and night time.

Out of the three, the 1W spartan will be the brightest, however, forget long distance pointing, if you want that you need the green (the 95mW). it should still be visable at night, but 1W will be far more brighter. (to your perspective, due to the spread, if you are looking at it from a distance, you will have trouble seeing the beam if it has already spread out too far.

but for daytime use, none of these lasers will do.

green lasers are more sensative to humans, so for the same power, it will be the brightest, also, These blue lasers are pretty terrible if your looking for low spread and long distance.

IMO you should consider another option of a 200mW> 532nM laser for the brightness factor and the long distance range. but this will really only be feasable at nightime.

EDIT: Damn it! mfo beat me as I was writing this post.

Last edited:

anselm

Last edited:
I was waiting for someone to say that. I second anselm. Please start with a lower power laser.

mod101

It's very tempting to 'play' with lasers by shining them in mirrors and on reflective surfaces so it really is a good idea to start with a lower powered laser and work your way up. A 1watt laser is going to be much more power than you are expecting and it can be dangerous if you don't know what your doing.

I have a few low powered ebay lasers that I use inside and I have a 1 watt custom build that I use mostly outside

Always remember, use laser goggles for protection!

I highly recommend not to 'play' with lasers by shining them in mirrors and on reflective surfaces. You can never know where it will come from and hit you right in the eye.

I also highly recommend you buying laser goggles before you begin 'playing' with lasers, mainly high powered lasers.

To the matter, I think that #3 (95 mW green Viper laser for 123.00 euro) will be the most suitable for you ATM.

mod101

I highly recommend not to 'play' with lasers by shining them in mirrors and on reflective surfaces. You can never know where it will come from and hit you right in the eye.

Yeah I wasn't condoning shining lasers into mirrors and other reflective surfaces, just saying it ends up being very tempting to 'play' with lasers in this fashion.

You may consider a IR filtered green laser, that has a much more bright green visible beam, less burning features and is definitively more safe for a beginner. (goggle are needed anyway)

So, you pay as much as for the spartan, but you get a brighter and safer that suit your needs.

Look at this one, you'll not see it in full day time, but i bet that start to be visible in the dusk:

http://www.o-like.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=41

Last edited:
I have to agree with everyone else.

1) start out with a lower power laser. Green is great for visibility.
2) GET GOGGLES!
3) please DO NOT shine at airplanes or helicopters!

Arshus

Welcome to LPF! For your first laser, trust me..get a not so expensive yet quality green laser off Ebay, preferably from IQS, since hes your best bet for shipping time, and quality vs. expense.

Since its your first laser, if you break it no big deal, also you can learn safety proceedure, and get some goggles in the meantime. :beer:

Go here: LaserQuickShip items - Get great deals on Green Laser 532nm, Blue violet Laser 405nm items on eBay Stores!

I'm not sure of a 95mW laser for 123EU is even a good price.

EDIT: Didn't realize you were in europe, I dont think IQS will ship outside the US. Still, there alot of vendors on Ebay that will.

Regards,

Sal

Last edited: