Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Question about enlarging the hole on an AixiZ lens

xgeek

I can't remember where I read it on this forum but I am sure I read that some members enlarged the hole on the back of the AixiZ lens.
If anyone can advise if they have done it or what is the purpose of doing it if they did.

Many thanks

XG

Attachments

• DSC00487_800x600.JPG
    DSC00487_800x600.JPG
    56 KB · Views: 196

S

SenKat

Re: Question about enlarging the hole on an AixiZ

The purpose is to allow more light to get into and through the lense...I WAS using the 1/2" drill bit method, until I found it MUCH easier to use a slim razor knife to do so....you start out at teh edge of the lense, putting the knife only a tiny bit in - since you are starting at the edge - IF for some reason you booger it up, and scratch up the lense itself, it is only on the edge, and will not harm the beam shape much :) Go in a circular fashion until the small plastic circle comes completely off - and the side is the same as the other one ! VERY easy to do this way - careful that you do not cut yourself, though :p

Greg

I have just done it with the burner I made....It seems to help keep the emited dot better centred. I am not sure if you get an increase in power output as I did not do enough experiments before I did it :-[. All I do know is that with partly used batteries I can smoke black plastic at 4 feet :).
wind the drill through by hand carefully, you will then need to clean out all the little bits of plastic in the lens cavity so that they dont end up melted onto the window of the LD. The other mod I have done is to glue a 25mm dia disc to the fromt of the lens assembly so that it can be fine adjusted without haveing to get your fingers in front of the beam.

I hope that helps.

Regards rog8811

xgeek

Cheers guys. Going to try doing it to one lens to see what happens.

Wait isn't that just the black lens holder thing that sits over the spring? I thought you could make the hole bigger? Or am I missing something here?

xgeek

Yep I thing you missed reading the whole thread ;)

No I read it through just fast and I probably misunderstood some of it. It makes sense now. Make the hole bigger that actually lets the light through.

Kenom

actually if you don't make it bigger you will start scorching it with your laser. I've got a few I forgot to fix that way and the plasic is all melted around the hole and it's bigger than it was. I'll have to take a picture if I can find one. Those things actually just pop out of there if your good and careful and can get a hook on the backside.

LarryQ

Kenom said:
actually if you don't make it bigger you will start scorching it with your laser.  I've got a few I forgot to fix that way and the plasic is all melted around the hole and it's bigger than it was.  I'll have to take a picture if I can find one.  Those things actually just pop out of there if your good and careful and can get a hook on the backside.

If you pop out that whole back piece, doesn't that piece retain the lens??

Larry

Kenom

it does. but the spring can also do the same thing. the first module I ever had was from a laser light show I got from a friend. It was all brown brass and didn't have a retainer for the lens. It was held in place by the spring that was in there. Now the one problem with the spring retaining the lens is the possibility of scratching the lens with the spring. but the lens itself has a base around the end that would meet the spring instead of sitting right on the lens itself.

Thanks for that kenom, I had not even considered the melting as a possibility, I had better mod the other modules I have built.

Regards rog8811

Benm

About the hole.. i've been looking at it a bit, and when you focus towards infinity, its so close to the laser diode (lens turned al the way in) that all lights goes though. When you focus close to the module it gets so far out that some light strikes the edges of the hole and enlarging it will be very worthwhile.

... and i love the idea of enlarging the hole on these things by burning it out with another module, gotta give that a try :)

Benm said:
... and i love the idea of enlarging the hole on these things by burning it out with another module, gotta give that a try :)

I'd avoid that approach - the smoke from the burn may be very difficult to clean off the lens that sits just behind it.

tomcat

so how much should this be widened?? by double or all the inside leaving only the spring resess??

S

SenKat

Ip retty much widen them until I am too scared to go any further ! I have not ever had any issues with the lense popping out, as I leave a tiny ridge around the inside of it.