Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Question about diode degrading??

Is it just my eyes getting used to the blu-ray light, or is the laser getting brighter the more I use it? Is it possible for the wave length to change as the diode degrades? :thinking: I ask this because my 8x seems to be much more visible now, than when I first got it.

Pete

Last edited:

I think the eye can be trained to see better, as this effect is well known in astronomy. But sadly, the laser is almost certain to go down a little or substantially with degradation... -Glenn

daguin

You are just getting better at seeing it. The eye and the brain can "learn" to recognize the light better.

Peace,
dave

3zuli

I've heard that LD's wavelenght can sometimes vary +-5~10nm and this makes it more visible

^It can vary that much from one diode to another, but wavelength generally doesn't vary 5-10nm on the same diode.

And wavelength can increase a little bit at higher temperature, but that effect goes away when the diode cools off. I'm thinking this effect you're seeing is much more likely to be biological, or maybe even psychological, than physical in nature.

I'm thinking this effect you're seeing is much more likely to be biological, or maybe even psychological, than physical in nature.
Agreed. I've had similar observations when I got my first blu-ray. I was very disappointed by how dim it was (even in comparison to a red laser). But after a while I started to perceive it much better. Kinda strange. :whistle:

Interesting.
I will have to agree that this wavelength can be "learned" to be observed.
When I first started playing with PHRs, I could not focus on the dot. Now I can adjust my eyes so that the beam or dot is in focus and sharp instead of fuzzy and blurry.
It helps when I'm trying to get all of the photons on the LPM sensor.

daguin

^It can vary that much from one diode to another, but wavelength generally doesn't vary 5-10nm on the same diode.

And wavelength can increase a little bit at higher temperature, but that effect goes away when the diode cools off. I'm thinking this effect you're seeing is much more likely to be biological, or maybe even psychological, than physical in nature.

So do you think that the phenomenon is idiopathic in origin?

Peace,
dave