Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Question about 532nm Build

Pi R Squared, you're right. This is the first time I remember being on the same thread with more than one other Washingtonians. Too bad we are still pretty far apart. It would be nice to get together and compare lasers and laser stuff.

just get one from fasttech, here. They are pot adjustable, and while increasing the current to the diode may shorten its life...who cares. they are only 5$. No point in spending 30$ for the exact same thing with a higher powered label on it.

That one is rated 5mw. How much will adjusting the pot bring it up to approximately? And sorry I didn't understand what you meant by that secret paul.

Danny, that refers to something else I am a member of in this forum, and I shouldn't have said anything about it anyway. Sorry. Those are rated at 5mW at FASTTECH, but I believe you could probably get a little more out of them if you followed some heat sinking problems that are inherent in these modules. How much more? That is the $64,000 question.

Yeah. You could be right, PRS. It all depends on the output power of the 808nm laser diode, less than the power output of the driver, because these drivers will handle about 100-500mA if they are the ones I think they are. It's hard to tell from the picture on Fasttech's website.

That one is rated 5mw. How much will adjusting the pot bring it up to approximately? And sorry I didn't understand what you meant by that secret paul.

Out of the box those 5mw modules will be anywhere from 25 to 80mw.

Adjusting the pot until it draws 430ma can yield a power anywhere from 50 to 140mw (from Pman's testing's).

I'd say just get the one from fasttech. They are only 5 bucks and will be very similar, if not identical to the more expensive modules from DX or eBay.

If that's true, then I would have to say that they are worth the $5.89 they are asking for it. With a IR filter installed, they should output up to 110mW of pure green laser light. I would have to test one myself to be completely sure of this. For the price, I might just do that.

So you guys are saying if I buy one from fastech and tighten the pot all the way I could get 100 mw out of it? And how long would it last with this power?

Danny, I don't think it was stated that the pot be turned all the way up, but that it was turned to a point where the power output was measured at 140mW. About 20% of that would be IR. If you put it in a Altoids can, the longest I would leave it on is about 15 seconds. Any longer, and you would have to start heat sinking the brass module and the driver output. It is hard to say if this will actually output 140mW for sure, but if it does, it would heat up very quickly.

Does the one from deal extreme have a pot? And also what battery does this $5 module use?

All 532nm lasers, Danny, use a single 3.7volt Li-ion battery, and the case is positive, while the negative side is the regulated source for the 808nm laser diode. That means that if you have the module mounted to the case of an Altiods box, you have to keep it isolated from the negative side of the battery. Otherwise, you will short out your battery. I believe you can get by with as little as 2.8 volts and as much as 5 volts. I wouldn't go outside of these voltages for your battery. So' if you wanted to, you could get by with 2 AA batteries in series as your source batteries.
oh, and yes. The one that is $5.89 has a pot that you can adjust. Clockwise is increasing current.

Get the one from FASTTECH.

Last edited:
Danny, the one from FASTTECH is the one you want. It costs $5.89 shipped. If it doesn't turn out to be 140 mW then you aren't out much at all. Paul

pual, PRSquard.. yea its kind of funny we are all about four hours from each other.. PR where in snohomish county do you live? If in Monroe I come there ever so often I have step kids that live there. Paul would love to come see your collection I have family that lives in Bremerton and friends still there I was there for five years. As for bringing my pitiful collection its just that. I have three ebay 5 mw pens in 650, 523, and 450 and one 523 ebay 301 30mw laser working on a 650nm 350 mw red build I have the driver, module, and possible host Now i need a heat sink that will fit my possible host and a pill and I think I can put it together. Though this will be my first total build and I dont want to fry my diode so I am having a vet help me with the mounting of the drive and didode and module and I will take the build from there.. I have made a few little pointers from those little 6mm 650 nm 5 mw diodes but nothing of the magnitude.. any way guys pm me if ya ever want to chat and get together some were half way for all of us and have a powwow

not even all the way would get you close to 100mW im sure. Mine out of the package did at least 50mW, and could/can be turned up significantly

edit: you may want to get a few modules though, just because there is a chance of one being DOA, or breaking at some point

Last edited:
Ok, I will buy 2 of them.
Anyone know of a really low profile AA battery holder I could use? Also, I will be using Rayovac rechargeable AA batteries, idk if rechargeable AA would put out less performance that say a standard Duracell.

Last edited: