Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Quantum "spooky action at a distance" travels at least 10,000 times faster than light

Quantum "spooky action at a distance" travels at least 10,000 times faster than light

Quantum entanglement, one of the odder aspects of quantum theory, links the properties of particles even when they are separated by large distances. When a property of one of a pair of entangled particles is measured, the other "immediately" settles down into a state compatible with that measurement. So how fast is "immediately"? According to research by Prof. Juan Yin and colleagues at the University of Science and Technology of China in Shanghai, the lower limit to the speed associated with entanglement dynamics – or "spooky action at a distance" – is at least 10,000 times faster than light.

....and I thought the photons emitted from my laser were fast..

Last edited:

Re: Quantum "spooky action at a distance" travels at least 10,000 times faster than l

I've read a few science ficction stories where quantum entanglement was used for faster-than-light communication. Definitely interesting!

Last edited:
Re: Quantum "spooky action at a distance" travels at least 10,000 times faster than l

We will certainly need faster-than-light communication at some point in the future. I am hoping that radio is something short lived, only used for a short time by primitive civilizations like us, and that's why SETI isn't finding any alien transmissions, because they are searching with the wrong technology.

Alan

I have read some interesting hypothesis on spooky action. I will try to describe it. Its has to do with the extra dimensions. In the 3rd dimension you can move through space/time left/right, up/down, forward/backward and the 4th dimension being time. The 5th and 6th dimension is thought to be a dimension in time described as being forward/backward or past, present, and future. The idea is that the information is traveling through these higher dimensions of space/time into the past and changing the particles spin.

I was surprised to find this article, I had always thought the speed for this was instantaneous or without any delay at all. My calculator says at 10,000 times faster than light, that is 1.86 billion miles per second. Amazing.

I've wondered about the problem SETI faces too, using barely out of the stone age methods of communication to detect others on the other side of the galaxy who may have only used this method for a very short period of time in their own technological evolution, probably reduces the likelihood of finding someone else many orders of magnitudes.

We don't know why this is so but I wonder if we can figure it out someday. What set of conditions would require for this kind of near instantaneous action at a distance to exist? When I think about the double-slit experiment, if it is indeed as strange and illogical as it appears to be, these kinds of rules seem to be in place to prevent anyone from circumventing the system, or maybe to keep the system from crashing if we could do that. The universe is looking more and more like some kind of, dare I even compare it to such; computer. Our computers merely the logical evolution of a macro tool which is compatible with the larger one it is operating in.

Last edited:

In regards to SETI, or anyone, getting any indication of extraterrestrial intelligent life, see the Fermi Paradox.

Very cool find Laser Project! Thanks for sharing :beer:

It seems the more we discover, the more it seems there is something major missing from the big picture in regards to our current science. Evidence like this seems to point to some as of yet undiscovered paradigm? Don't know if that is quite the word I'm looking for.

Sorry :yabbem:

Higher Dimensions existing outside of our current perception of space time. A field theory which unifies Gravity with the Electromagnetic Spectrum, at least the tiny bit that we can perceive. Stuff like that. Things that would make long distance space travel possible. Interstellar was pretty interesting in that regard. Good movie if your that type of science geek :)

~ LB

Last edited:

I liked the movie but there was one part that didn't make much sense to me, why go after a box, risking your life to do so, when all it contains is data about the very place you are visiting? Duh? I mean really?

There were definitely some things that didn't make sense. I think this movie along with others like Hero 6 are made to introduce new technologies to the general public so all these advancements aren't totally overwhelming and the next generation at least will be comfortable with it. Things like the theory of relativity are way over the heads of my older family members.

~ LB