Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Pushed hard 07E 465nm in D mag. Amazing color I haven't seen.

Eracoy

Amazing build there! I have one of those diodes, but I'm much more modest with it. It already is an amazingly bright blue; I couldn't imagine it with a longer wavelength still!

Also, I had to zoom WAY out to see the pictures, and that made the text unreadable. I'd suggest shrinking their sizes so we can all see it formatted well. Otherwise, keep up the nice work and pushing the various envelopes!

Pman

Unless something changed the pics should be standard 800x600. If for some reason there is something wrong and they are now trying to come up 4k please try changing over from DARKSHADOW to responsive at the bottom left of the forum page. I have no idea what happened to all the 800x600 pics I originally had that showed up correctly on my laser collection thread and Noone has told me how to fix it. Supposedly it looks OK with responsive mode though. I am home so I can take a look on my main computer and see what has happened.

5W is what a normal 07E will do so I'm not sure why you think your output has dropped.
Now I've seen my first 07E build at 4.8A peak just over 6W on that very first hit to my Ophir but then it settles out into the lower 5W range. If there's one thing I've learned from building a ton of lasers its that you never quite know what you are going to get in output and wavelength regardless of setting the driver to the exact same setting. Unless someone knows different every diode has some shift upward the more you push them and some have dramatic visible changes while others you don't really see anything.
Now that ive thought about it more I think it would be kind of cool to take some pics with each set of lasers I own that are supposed to be the same wavelength and we can look at them together. I would start off with all my 405nm and go from there. I can go up to 685nm as I have a couple of those too. I'm thinking maybe that I would set each wavelength up in order of output. To keep things consistent I would use some fog and always use my note 4 camera. Anyways its a thought. I don't know if anyone has done it before. There's been plenty of rainbow pics but probably nothing like what I'm thinking of.

Last edited:

Eracoy

Unless something changed the pics should be standard 800x600. If for some reason there is something wrong and they are now trying to come up 4k please try changing over from DARKSHADOW to responsive at the bottom left of the forum page. I have no idea what happened to all the 800x600 pics I originally had that showed up correctly on my laser collection thread and Noone has told me how to fix it. Supposedly it looks OK with responsive mode though. I am home so I can take a look on my main computer and see what has happened.
Yes, I switched to responsive and that fixed the issue. Thanks; wasn't your fault.

I guess my problem lies on inadequate cooling to the driver, because i just use a double tape to attach the driver to the half-moon heatsink as per creator suggest.

here is the data log:
quick_test_NUBM07_E.png

Lovely photographs, I like one of those hosts so much I want one, too bad Ehgemus isn't building for us anymore, but we do have a new guy on the block doing well. I had a 07E running at 5 amps and it died, I know another member who had one set at 4.5 amps and his died too. The next one I get will be set at 4 amps of current. 465-470nm is so beautiful, my favorite laser color.

A 1000 line/mm grating can be used to check wavelength if you don't have access to a spectrometer. At 1 meter from the grating the 0th order is placed at 0 mm and every mm up from there on the 1st order is 1nm. So, if your spot is 532 mm up from the first spot it is 532nm. The math is not very difficult, but won't bore anyone with it here.

That's not the correct way to measure wavelength at all. Under the conditions you specified the correct distance for 532nm would be around 628mm between orders 0 and 1.

The equation is:
lambda = sin(atan(d/D)) * (1/(density*1000)) * 1000000000
lambda is the wavelength in nm
d is the distance between the 0th and 1st orders, in m
D is the distance between the grating and the wall, in m
density is the number of lines/mm of the grating

You're right, Atomicrox. I was working out a way to set up a scale a couple years ago and somehow my math got off track and assumed a linear relationship. I put it away and never checked it again, but should have known better. As the wavelength increases the distance from the 0th order maxima to the 1st order maxima increase exponentially. Fortunately,. the part of the curve for visible lasers lays on a part of the curve that only changes by an order of X2. So, it is still possible to have a set-up where the distance from the diffraction grating to the scale is still 1000mm. One just needs to adjust the scale to read ~443mm at 405nm, ~628 at 532nm, and ~855 at 650nmn. I could do a curve fit for this, but it doesn't seem necessary at this point since I have no need of it any longer. Sorry for the stupid mistake!

Pman

Updated pics on the build with a beautiful focus knob that was given to me by my good friend. I'm not going to say who but his initials are GSS:)
x9f2tG.jpg

x9f2tG.jpg

Last edited:
I do like that focus knob. If anyone has a link to it, I would appreciate it. Those smaller focus rings are burnt fingers waiting to happen. Nice build, Pman. Especially for a flashlight. :)

Pman

Thanks. I've gotten finger bit a few times with different units even trying to be careful. If someone would make a whole bunch of focus knobs all at once and pop them up for sale I'm sure there would be a big rush to buy them. I have a few custom ones left but they don't go as well with certain units. I would just like to see a bunch just simple like the one shown here in various sizes. I really like the knurling on them. Simple nice looking and easy to adjust. If I had a lathe and the knowhow believe me, I would be churning stuff like that out all the time.
I know there are talks about some members building a complete host but I think there might be more $ to be made and quickly for some simple things like this. Again, thanks Peter (GSS) for sending me that right off of one of your own units. He is a very kind person and it's an honor to have friends like him.

GSS

Pman has given me the shirt of his back so many times I don't need to buy clothes anymore:) Its just part of the circle of giving here from some special members as I got this from Lifetime as an unexpected surprise on one of his builds:)
Just to know Lifetime got the knob from Ed Crouse before he went MIA.
I didn't realize how big that Maglight face is till I saw the knob on it. Lets hope it helps a bit with some burn blisters from that beast:can:

Lolvo

Fantastic work there pman, and your collection is impressive!! Usually not a fan of Mag builds simply because I've never liked them as flashlights, but yours looks great!! I'm pretty much set on getting an 07E as my next piece after everything I've been seeing about them.. that color is just doing it for me. So much brighter and more blue than any wavelength I've seen.

Just have to find the right guy for the job!

+rep for your great work here, thanks for sharing.

Pman

Here's some more pics I took tonight between my 2 07E showing the large color difference again:
Obviously the 4.8A one doesn't look violet like it comes out in the pics abut the point is look how great the difference is. They are pointing to the top of a very high hill/low mountain a long ways away.

vdCKsf.jpg

bydXA7.jpg

v0datP.jpg

GYpIWh.jpg

g1vzWa.jpg

kd0qru.jpg

Next to a 1.5W peak 520nm you can see the color closer to actual:
2xCA1d.jpg

QMCQdl.jpg

Last edited: