Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Purpose of lasers

My uncle and grandparents made a great point that I couldn't refute. What is the point of having a high powered laser besides burning stuff every once in a while? (I am crazy about them regardless). Does it serve a functional purpose?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

jm007

That same question could be asked about much of what we do in the modern world. For me, it's entertainment, satisfying curiosity, and learning. Additionally, I may be able to instill in my kids a sense of exploring what they find interesting.

ru124t

I hate spiders ! Enuff said ! I need high powered spider burner !

Most people also probably purchase higher powered lasers for the beams. Have you seen the pictures of 200mW> lasers by the members on this forum? It's simply stunning :)

At least one person on this forum uses a high power 445nm for removing pests in an aquarium.

Commercially, powerful lasers are used for all kinds of purposes.

One never should question "enthusiasm".

It's a personal preference. What's the point of watching TV shows? Listening to music? Reading a book?

You can technically always call out "What's it for" arguments that, objectively, cannot be refuted, but if you do that, you're very much biased because you are accepting your own interests, while questioning and refuting somebody else's.

My parents, for example, absolutely never asked me what do I do with lasers and what's it for. They accepted it as something I like doing. Same as with all my friends. Here and there somebody loves to point out "What do you do with them?", and in my experience they are best answered by promptly pulling out a laser and cross the sky with a laser beam.

I hate spiders ! Enuff said ! I need high powered spider burner !
I hate humans, however I do not burn them with proton death rays. Must watch what you say around spider hobbyists (i keep spiders) As to OP, what is the point of most things? Take instruments for example, yes they make sound and can be bashed against enemies/zombies head, but what can they truly accomplish?

If I had a nickel for everytime someone not "into" lasers asked that... :)

Just because someone doesn't personally relate to the enjoyment, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I know someone that collects refrigerator magnets. I don't get it, but I still keep my eye out for interesting ones for them because I know they like 'em...

Different stroke for different folks. It's hard for me to articulate the feeling I get from looking at laser light (especially beams). It fills me with wonder about all the things I don't understand about science and the universe. It is undeniably "cool" to me and that makes it more than worth the time and expense. I don't get that from looking at refrigerator magnets, but that doesn't mean I have the right to question his fascination. It is equally valid.

-c

ps. Lasers don't have to be high powered to be awesome. :beer:

I'm thinking a 1w+ 445 would be great for trimming edges of vinyl and cutting tape with no friction in the sign shop. When i get mine made I'll do a thread on it. My 532 just doesn't have the power. Also very entertaining, if not the most practical pest control. Imagine going independence day on a fire ant mound :p

djQUAN

I have used my 445 for cutting frayed threads on clothing (without pulling more of it off), heating shrink tubing, cutting complicated shapes on paper without tearing it, lighting fireworks from a safe distance and others I can't think of at the moment.

Higher powered lasers make and epic hand warmer in the winter. I bring my 3W 445 with me when I go on my ATV because I can warm my hands with it or start a small camp fire if I want to rest for a while.

I also use my lasers to engrave my property like cellphone chargers (Had too many of them taken anc claimed by other family members or friends).

Lighting candles

Heat shrink tubing

Cutting insulation off wires when I can't find my wire strippers.

I mean, the usefulness of a high powered laser is endless.

Of course people can argue that you can use specialized tools designed for your task, like scissors, heat gun, lighter ect but WHY? Of course some people have a hard time understanding enthusiasm. Just like rock collecting, gun collecting and so on.

Some climb mountains just because. For someone who moved from flashlights to lasers, it's like going from sashimi to fugu. Some excitement and thrill in seeing that awesome beam!

:lasergun: