Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Laser Pointer Store

Pumping a Ruby Rod

Alaskan

Oops, I turned that around somehow. You are right, this might be a pinkish pulse ND YAG, I'd ask the seller what wavelength the unit is, or for more information to be sure what it is.

Last edited:

Alaskan

You are always quoting me bud, I can't even get a minute to fix my post! But yes, I see now. I had it backwards. Funny thing is, I corrected Cyparagon on this very thing last year telling him CW were whitish when he had it backwards :p

diachi

You are always quoting me bud, I can't even get a minute to fix my post! But yes, I see now. I had it backwards. Funny thing is, I corrected Cyparagon on this very thing last year telling him CW were whitish when he had it backwards :p

Haha, I refresh the page fairly often to check for new posts. Maybe I'll slow down a little bit. :thinking: :crackup:

Alaskan

I should have fact checked myself. But I really don't trust that ebay listing, if the guy knows what he has that's one thing, but if he is fairly clueless he might look at a pink ND YAG rod and think it's a ruby rod.

Here's a photo of a EKSMA ND:YAG rod, very pink

However, here's a ruby rod looking pinker than I imagined they can be:

Here's the first laser made, that ruby doesn't look very ruby colored to me, but upon further thought, it's the material they refer to, not the color. By the color, I'd call it a bubble gum laser, except the color it puts out isn't that shade, it's ruby!

Last edited:
I've got a ruby rod here too, it seems in pretty good nic, only a few tiny chips in the edges of the ends.

I came across this site, they have quite a lot of parts for Ruby Lasers, including a bucketload of mirrors:

Laser Sources Ltd - Ruby laser line optics. 694nm. Output couplers, rear mirrors, turning mirrors, 694nm AR coated lenses and windows. Filter glass for Ruby laser pumping chamber

Admittedly, I have no clue where to even start for making my own, but I got enough capacitors to detonate a warhead here.