Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Pulsed Er:YAG Laser Destruction!!!

that thing doesn't look scary at all.

so whats the exhaust manifold and head off of?

Well, look what the cat brought in. I am thinking of bidding on this. Yag head for sale It looks like it was never used. Just need to build a big butt PSU.

That's the problem, a PSU isn't going to be easy to build. I'd look for one that has the supply included, or at least the caps.

I've bought laser heads with intentions of getting/building supplies later, and it either ends up being a complete nightmare or a total waste of money.

What should I look for if I want a complete Laser. I noticed some Ebay sellers say Laser cavity and psu. Am I correct assuming there is no Laser rod

What should I look for if I want a complete Laser. I noticed some Ebay sellers say Laser cavity and psu. Am I correct assuming there is no Laser rod

AFAIK, it could contain the rod, but it might not if it just says "cavity". Would you mind posting the link?

Er:YAG rods only cost ~$70 USD anyway.

That's the problem, a PSU isn't going to be easy to build. I'd look for one that has the supply included, or at least the caps.

I've bought laser heads with intentions of getting/building supplies later, and it either ends up being a complete nightmare or a total waste of money.

Wouldn't be to hard for single shot operation such as - charge cap - fire - charge cap - fire , The trigger circuit on these is simple to do aswell I think for single shot running ( depending how the trigger works that is )

For rapid fire such as 10 - 20Hz then you would need proper drive and "simmer" circuits

Last edited:

Gabe

Lol... Any idea if a 1.0 farad cap like this would be useful in flash lamp lasers?

Lol... Any idea if a 1.0 farad cap like this would be useful in flash lamp lasers?
[/URL]

Flash lamp lasers use capacitors in the 350V + range

The one in this thread is in the area of 1.5Kv @ 50uF +

1F would be a rather slow pulse : P

Last edited:

The FL caps for the Big Sky heads use around 1.5KV and a few dozen μf IIRC.

EDIT: looks like ionlaser555 beat me to it. :eek:

Last edited:

Gabe

Ah, so it's the voltage that's important... Says this cap I have is 1 farad at 16 volts...
You heard it here, ladies and gentlemen. Size doesn't always matter.

Ah, so it's the voltage that's important... Says this cap I have is 1 farad at 16 volts...
You heard it here, ladies and gentlemen. Size doesn't always matter.

Yeah, I'd advise not hooking it up to a flashlamp. Not sure what would happen, but it probably wouldn't be pretty.

Also congratz on 800 posts :)

Yeah, I'd advise not hooking it up to a flashlamp. Not sure what would happen, but it probably wouldn't be pretty.

Also congratz on 800 posts :)

Probably not much since it would be pretty difficult to get 16V to jump across the length of a flash lamp. If you DID manage to get it to arc over then it would just ignite like a lightbulb and burn up the tube from heat. Photonicinduction did something similar to this with a very large xenon arc lamp and it just melted releasing the gas. Though the intense heat could create an explosion, causing molten glass and other shrapnel to fly everywhere.

Last edited: