Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Protection from rioters using lasers to blind

Light34

This isn't a political thread, but I have a relative who is a police officer, a good guy, family man, non aggressive, ego in check, peacemaker type. From recent news some people are using lasers to shine in the eyes of police officers in America. I understand three Federal officers got eye damage or were blinded last week from protesters purposely using lasers to hurt them. I have watched videos of protesters in Chili and Hong Kong using powerful green and blue lasers against the police. I feel this is going to be norm from here on out against police officers in the US. Hope I'm wrong.

Here is my question. Is there any quality eye protection that protects against all laser colors or green and blue? What would you recommend for protection when there is a good chance you are going to have a laser purposely put in your face?

Any insight you have for me would be really appreciated. I'm just trying to help a family member not end up permanently blind and disabled.

Giannis_TDM

This isn't a political thread, but I have a relative who is a police officer, a good guy, family man, non aggressive, ego in check, peacemaker type. From recent news some people are using lasers to shine in the eyes of police officers in America. I understand three Federal officers got eye damage or were blinded last week from protesters purposely using lasers to hurt them. I have watched videos of protesters in Chili and Hong Kong using powerful green and blue lasers against the police. I feel this is going to be norm from here on out against police officers in the US. Hope I'm wrong.

Here is my question. Is there any quality eye protection that protects against all laser colors or green and blue? What would you recommend for protection when there is a good chance you are going to have a laser purposely put in your face?

Any insight you have for me would be really appreciated. I'm just trying to help a family member not end up permanently blind and disabled.
Yea those dumbasses should be put in fucking jail for a long ass time... Trust me we hate those dudes They give the community and us a bad name. I will tell you where to get him goggles and give you a 10% discount code on them, Most protesters use a 532nm green and 445 lasers so these goggles from SL will do the trick: https://www.survivallaser.com/Eagle...ard_Laser_Safety_Goggles/p556088_2780808.aspx Discount code: LPF445 (applied at checkout) Have a good day mate!

gazer101

Yea those dumbasses should be put in fucking jail for a long ass time... Trust me we hate those dudes They give the community and us a bad name. I will tell you where to get him goggles and give you a 10% discount code on them, Most protesters use a 532nm green and 445 lasers so these goggles from SL will do the trick: https://www.survivallaser.com/Eagle...ard_Laser_Safety_Goggles/p556088_2780808.aspx Discount code: LPF445 (applied at checkout) Have a good day mate!
Keep in mind that unless you wear some sort of camera->screen setup, you will always be vulnerable to some laser wavelength. Those eagle pair goggles for instance, won't protect you from red lasers

Encap

Keep in mind that unless you wear some sort of camera->screen setup, you will always be vulnerable to some laser wavelength. Those eagle pair goggles for instance, won't protect you from red lasers
While, if you have not looked into same that is generally true about laser hobbyist protective glasses for high output lasers because there is a need for high levels of protection, it is not true of laser strike protective glasses which protect to the lower OD level needed for laser strike protection.

There are several models of "laser strike" eyewear that protect against blue/green/red laser strikes-- for examples in the link I provided above scroll down and see several models that protect against blue/green/red at low OD leel needed for laser strikes example: https://www.phillips-safety.com/product-category/laser-safety/laser-strike-eyewear/ among other makes and types

gazer101

While, if you have not looked into same that is generally true about laser hobbyist protective glasses for high output lasers because there is a need for high levels of protection, it is not true of laser strike protective glasses which protect to the lower OD level needed for laser strike protection.

There are several models of "laser strike" eyewear that protect against blue/green/red laser strikes-- for examples in the link I provided above scroll down and see several models that protect against blue/green/red at low OD leel needed for laser strikes example: https://www.phillips-safety.com/product-category/laser-safety/laser-strike-eyewear/ among other makes and types
Right, but you still need to be able to see right? And the only way for that to happen is if the goggles let some wavelength of light through

Encap

Yes sure, all laser glasses and goggles reduce visible light transmission--all are a trade off of visible/not visible to one degree or another. To provide a reasonable level of eye protection for a given and considered situation or circumstance, is the goal

Last edited:

Light34

I really want to thank all the posters who have given me information to chew through and educate myself. You don't know what it means to me. Seriously, thank you all. Being worried for a family member's safety is such a major stresser and I'm sure I will make a good decision based on what you've given me to start with.

Encap

See NOIR LASER PROTECTION FOR PILOTS, RIOT/CROWD-CONTROL AND MILITARY GROUND PERSONNEL:
https://noirlaser.com/laser-pointer-hazard

Have a look at this page about the eyewear bought to protect Federal Officers in Portland. https://www.wweek.com/news/courts/2020/07/25/federal-police-buy-1000-pairs-of-sunglasses-to-protect-officers-from-protesters-lasers/
They bought Stingerhawk FT2 glasses for violet, blue, and green laser protection from this company:
See: https://www.revisionmilitary.com/en...rhawk-eyewear-ft-2-laser-protective-basic-kit
Whole range of protective choices by same company listed here: https://www.revisionmilitary.com/en/amfile/file/download/file_id/608/product_id/1367/

OK comments on this: If this does continue - I'm just thinking - based on current tech - if the goggles were only able to allow from about 580-610 it would be safe from almost any current handheld devices if the OD was a decent range. Yellow and orange typically are near impossible to get and levels are almost always lowish.

I know a couple people on here have decent power yellows, but you'd have to be pretty dedicated to afford a yellow of sufficient power and if you were going to do that, why not just use something in the 800nm or 1000nm range?

even making the band as narrow as 10-20nm in the 600nm range. If the government is going to do it, they have the money to make them :)

Last edited:

gazer101

OK comments on this: If this does continue - I'm just thinking - based on current tech - if the goggles were only able to allow from about 580-610 it would be safe from almost any current handheld devices if the OD was a decent range. Yellow and orange typically are near impossible to get and levels are almost always lowish.

I know a couple people on here have decent power yellows, but you'd have to be pretty dedicated to afford a yellow of sufficient power and if you were going to do that, why not just use something in the 800nm or 1000nm range?

even making the band as narrow as 10-20nm in the 600nm range. If the government is going to do it, they have the money to make them :)
You're right, if someone is intelligent enough to create their own high-powered yellow they are most likely not going to be pointing them into anyone's eyes. Idk where to get such goggles though...

please do not missunderstand me.....but... actual 'blinding' is not very likely. also you will not see very many red lasers let alone yellow.
SO green/blue laser protection glasses would make blinding even less probable.

also if 'blinding' were likely-- the police should not be using that.
It would only make the protesters more likely to use them as well.
Exaggeration of injuries not a new thing--
Only a matter of time before someone claims 'whiplash' from laser.

I have experienced tear gasing -- close range macing-hit w/ night sticks and kicked while down by police== I would rather be lased.

The last thing we need now is another Kent State..of the four murdered, only one was a protestor--who only threw tear gas BACK at the police and MYB a thrown clod of dirt--the only gun found at KSU was in the pocket of an undercover cop.

hak
KSU Class of 1970.

ps
If you slip and fall into a vat of choclate you yell FIRE FIRE--not choclate choclate-- as nobody will come to your rescue..