Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Proper Poll-Thread Placement?

Where should the poll-thread "Which is your favorite laser retailer?" be placed?

• Total voters

cmak

Seeing as the "Polls" sub-section of LPF (the one in which this thread is located) is contained within the "Off-Topic" section, my logic tells me the threads that belong inside this sub-section should be polls that are not related to lasers, or any of the other topics that have their own sub-section (and are therefore considered to be Off-Topic). What I have often found myself wondering is whether or not other people agree with me about my opinion that laser-related polls do not belong in this less active and less-viewed sub-section of the forum. If there is a poll related to lasers, LPF, or something that has its own sub-section (and is therefore considered to be on-topic), shouldn't it be placed in the sub-section it is related to?

Example: I'd like to start a poll about which laser company/website has the best customer service. Should I place it inside "Lasers > Companies", or "Off-Topic > Polls"?

Example 2: I'd like to start a poll that asks, "Did you read the rules of LPF before or after signing up?" Should I place it inside "Newcomers > Rules & Stickies", or "Off-Topic > Polls"?

My answer to both of the above questions is the former, in each case. What are your guys' thoughts on this?

-Chris

Last edited:

Most people just place the poll in the relevant section anyways....

Huh?

I'd disagree, looks to me like most are in the Polls section even if they don't belong there.

-Chris

LoL. any poll belongs in the Polls section. it can also belong in another section.

think of it like this...

All fruitloops are cereal, but not all cereal is fruitloops.

michael.

cmak

How does a poll not belong in the Polls section? :thinking:

LoL. any poll belongs in the Polls section. it can also belong in another section.

think of it like this...

All fruitloops are cereal, but not all cereal is fruitloops.

michael.

To both of you:

Yes, it's called the Polls section, but in fact if you pay attention it is a sub-section of the Off-Topic section. This essentially makes it the "Off-Topic Polls" section. If a poll is on the topic of lasers, or something that is considered to be On-Topic, it doesn't belong in the Off-Topic Polls section.

Get it? :rolleyes:

-Chris

Hence my decision to vote option #3. it is such a cmak thing to do :na:

Trevor

All forum software packages that include polls include an option on whether or not to allow polls in a given forum. If Avery didn't want polls made in the regular section of the forum, he'd have disabled it.

Over-analyzing the "issue" and making a poll is such a cmak thing to do. :na:

-Trevor

To both of you:

Yes, it's called the Polls section, but in fact if you pay attention it is a sub-section of the Off-Topic section. This essentially makes it the "Off-Topic Polls" section. If a poll is on the topic of lasers, or something that is considered to be On-Topic, it doesn't belong in the Off-Topic Polls section.

Get it? :rolleyes:

-Chris

I got it the first time you said it, so don't roll your eyes at me. If you wanted to go on with your idea, then there should be a Veteran's section in the laser section and in the off-topic. Or perhaps anything not pertaining to lasers shouldn't be allowed at all, seeing as how this is 'Laserpointerforums.com'?

Why even bother to think about it, just put it in the polls section.

HIMNL9

Uhm ..... sorry, but ..... why not place the poll in the poll section, and a simple post with a link about it in the more relevant section (or sections, if it envolve more interests), of the poll argument ? :thinking:

cmak

I got it the first time you said it, so don't roll your eyes at me. If you wanted to go on with your idea, then there should be a Veteran's section in the laser section and in the off-topic. Or perhaps anything not pertaining to lasers shouldn't be allowed at all, seeing as how this is 'Laserpointerforums.com'?

The "rolls eyes" smiley was intended very light-heartedly; looking back at that post, however, I can see how my tone might have been misinterpreted as a serious/annoyed one, when in fact I intended it to be the opposite. Should've used ":p", because after all this isn't anything too important and is really just a casual discussion/debate.

Thanks for your input either way. :yh:

-Chris

Last edited: