Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Prism pair on ebay

HIMNL9

Just wondering ..... from the auction:

These prisms were used with a 808nm laser diode. All the lenses have an AR coating. These are very useful at other wavelengths like the 445 nm,

I'm wondering how much loss this can cause ..... after all, is matter of at least 8 AR coating layers not made originally for 445nm .....

The loss for 445nm is ~20%, I read that somewhere, but the location escapes me. These are from the 473nm CNI rebranded B&W Tek lab modules from eBay.

HIMNL9

The loss for 445nm is ~20%, I read that somewhere, but the location escapes me. These are from the 473nm CNI rebranded B&W Tek lab modules from eBay.

I hope you don't mean for each element ..... otherwise, the total loss (prisms and lenses) can be around 59% ..... and the loss of the prisms only can be around 36% .....

I think it was total loss, which is still substantial, at 1000mW you're down to 800mW before any other optics.

most beamshots I've seen are only the central emitters, and it cuts off the rest of the output. It would be nice to be able to use more of the emitting area.

HIMNL9

most beamshots I've seen are only the central emitters, and it cuts off the rest of the output. It would be nice to be able to use more of the emitting area.

uhm, no, the prisms works in a different way ..... you know that a prism can "deformate" the image, looking through it, from one axis only, if you keep it inclinated when you look through it ..... the anamorphic set works in this way ..... they don't "cut out" the sides of the oval dot / bar, they "enlarge" the slow axis until it become, more or less, large like the fast one, so the collimated spot become almost circular ..... this way .....

AnamorphicPrism.jpg

^ now that makes sense, but what kind of space would that take up, would it be usable in a handheld?

The prism pair and first and last lenses for this set are a few inches long, not very portable. Besides the crystal and diode assembly, they take up the most space in the CNI lab heads.