Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Presstek 40W IR diode

Aleksa

Hello everyone! :)

I have a 40w presstek diode,which is 808nm. I'm currently looking for the datasheet,but no luck.

The questions i have are:
1: What kind of connector does this module use ?
2: What fiber optic cable is recommended for this wavelength and power?
3: What is the best way to drive them ?
4: What is the recommended operating point of the diode(volts/amps) ?
5: How many um is the aperture ?

All in all,the datasheet will answer all of these questions. If anyone has it,mail it to me :)

I understand the danger at this power and wavelength. I have a pair of protection glasses,so that's taken in consideration. I never look at the beam. Don't look at all :)

Here are some pics :beer:

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    76.5 KB · Views: 324
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    102.8 KB · Views: 358
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    83 KB · Views: 318
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    82.2 KB · Views: 377

I already emailed that one to him ARG. He has it. Its about all the info I was given with the one I had bought..

ARG

I'm trying to find more info since I bought Jeff's. I'll update the thread if I find anything.

Aleksa

I found out that it can withstand 3v at 40A. So i built a nice SMPS and yes,it does work very nice. Dough its still scary to be around the diode when its working :p
Without a lens,it can melt aluminium like crazy :D
The thing is so scary,that i have to leave the room and put a camera with IR protection glasses in front of it to film it while working. I would really like to have a fiber cable...but i have no idea which one to get. Its a nice diode,but no practical use. The idea was to use it on a CNC table,but with no cable and lens,its useless. :)

Aleksa

Yes,foil,the one that is used to connect batteries in series :D

Also,i would like to mention,the first way i tried to power the diode was with batteries!

I took a 12v battery that was used to power some handheld drill,and found out that it used 10x1.2v single batteries connected in series. Battery connected like that delivered 7Ah.

So i took it a part,and connected 5 batteries in parallel to get 1.2v and the other 5 batteries to get another 1.2v. So now connecting does two,you get 2.4v a crap load of amps :D

I added a 0.1ohm 100w resistor just to limit the current so it would not exceed more than 40A.

I ued like the thickest wire i could find,cause of the skin effect,otherwise the voltage will drop dramatically.

And yes,it does work :D

So,it is possible to make a handheld 40w puppy :D

The bad side is that you can use the laser for only 1 minute (depends on battery capacity ) :p

The SMPS is easy to make,i had to learn how to build one. I can teach you all how to make one,but there is A LOT of info on the internet. A specially on Tahmind's blog :)

Yes,foil,the one that is used to connect batteries in series :D

Also,i would like to mention,the first way i tried to power the diode was with batteries!

I took a 12v battery that was used to power some handheld drill,and found out that it used 10x1.2v single batteries connected in series. Battery connected like that delivered 7Ah.

So i took it a part,and connected 5 batteries in parallel to get 1.2v and the other 5 batteries to get another 1.2v. So now connecting does two,you get 2.4v a crap load of amps :D

I added a 0.1ohm 100w resistor just to limit the current so it would not exceed more than 40A.

I ued like the thickest wire i could find,cause of the skin effect,otherwise the voltage will drop dramatically.

And yes,it does work :D

So,it is possible to make a handheld 40w puppy :D

The bad side is that you can use the laser for only 1 minute (depends on battery capacity ) :p

The SMPS is easy to make,i had to learn how to build one. I can teach you all how to make one,but there is A LOT of info on the internet. A specially on Tahmind's blog :)

For a second i thought you were "Alaskan" and he had just changed his name, i read it as "alesken" XD

Well, since it's been bumped...how did this thing turn out? Do you still have it? I'm curious as to the cost of one of these.

Aleksa

Well,i'm now using it anymore. It was just for fun. The 808nm cant be really used for something practical. I wanted to use it for a CNC engraver. Finding a lense for this thing and a fiber cable is really hard. The laser diode costed like 250$. Not really that expensive but really not usable for a CNC hobbyist like me. I prefer CO2 laser over this monster diode. Way easyer to drive and less expensive.