Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Practical uses for laser pointers

Huck50

Just wondering how many practical uses there are for your laser pointer other
than driving your dog or cat crazy,stargazing, or using on projection screen at meetings?
I am talking 5mW power and under. How many green pointers with a real
5mW can project the dot out to 200 yards on a dull (no sun) day.
Thanks,Huck50

How many green pointers with a real
5mW can project the dot out to 200 yards on a dull (no sun) day.

It doesn't take much to project it. My guess is 10 times 5mW = 50mW. If you're shining this laser at me, and I'm standing 200 yards away, and look in your direction, I can see it.

Will I notice the spot on the tree I may be standing next to? I doubt it. It's gotta be strong enough to overwhelm the ambient light and catch my attention. In this case, my guess is 30 times 5mW = 150mW.

Will you be able to see the dot you are projecting onto a tree 200 yards away? I doubt it. It's gotta be strong enough to survive the loss of bouncing off the tree bark and make the journey another 200 yards back to you. And during an overcast day? My guess is 50 times 5mW = 250mW. Maybe more.

You would definitely see your dot if the sun was over cast, at 200 yards, with anything over 30mw.... in my experience anyways...

Huck50

Lasers are a hobby, something to pass time and spend money on :whistle:

Yeah,I agree! My last "hobby" was led flashlights,which I started out with one 6D cell Maglite,then got the led conversion for that,then a Fenix TK-41,then about 5 more lights....only so much you can do with a flashlight! Same thing with a laser pointer( I have 2 and one more coming!)
Can only do so much with a "legal" Class A laser here in Canada! Thanks,Huck50

Last edited:
Just wondering how many practical uses there are for your laser pointer other than driving your dog or cat crazy,stargazing, or using on projection screen at meetings?
I am talking 5mW power and under. How many green pointers with a real 5mW can project the dot out to 200 yards on a dull (no sun) day.
Thanks,Huck50

I don't have a whole lot of use for 5mW or less lasers, other than shooting straight lines for marking/cutting/measuring, when building outbuildings for example. Longer range outdoor usage for clearing trees in line-of-sight paths for microwave links, I would usually use at least a few hundred mW.

Most of my applications, such as research or machining, use much more powerful lasers. I have used low power 405nm handhelds for photoreactivity usage, ie making certain things flouresce.

High power is also useful for illumination of unmanned spaceborne objects, or shooting at a retroreflector on the moon. Dish Network used to have a satellite based camera pointed at earth that was a great target to illuminate from earth at nights during certain times of the year when the sun was well eclipsed by the earth. That camera is offline now, so many pixels in the imaging CCD have been permanently damaged by the radiation in space.

Bob

I used my oldold(and dead) dragonlasers 75mW 532nm viper for smoke detection once.
My house was struck by lightning. Worked like a charm.

I use lasers to amaze friends and look at stars ..If anyone has a use other than fun id really like to hear it . especially with a high power hand held.

Lighting your campfire when your matches are wet and you forgot your striker.:D

Igniting then blowing out matches to make smoke for a nice beamshot :angel:

Pman. Using it for a bear deterrent, whilst roasting your mini marshmallows with the laser over the campfire you started with your laser.

Pman

Actually that remark makes me wonder what animals will chase a laser beam other than a cat or dog....

I bet my 5mW could be seen on certain surfaces at 200 yards, depending on suns position and clouds. Certainly goes that far at night, and much further.

Here's a use, checking to see if a HEPA filter is still working well with beam.
Also, when someone has never been to your house, you have a beacon when they get close. At night anyway (check for planes/whirlybirds)