Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Pot mod possible on 1mw trio?

I'm new here (and to lasers), so don't be surprised if the following makes little sense.
I recently got 3 lasers from Amazon rated at 1mw (LINK) and I want to mod the power output. I've been digging around with a saw and a few screwdrivers in the 650nm one (with a hole in both the front and back) and have yet to find the potentiometer. Right now, I don't want to experiment any further as I've already lost the lens for the blue one and have screwed up the red one somehow (probably by sawing through it :banghead:) Can anybody tell me if these lasers even have pots (so I know weather or not to give up) and, if they do, where it's located?
Thanks if you've read this far. :)

oahu99

No.
Pot modding will almost surely break your lasers, and can also introduce safety problems.

Just don't do it.

By the way, this has been covered many times before. Use the search function before you post next time.

Reactions: ARG
I realise pot modding is a killer of diodes everywhere, and probably is mentioned everywhere too. Sorry for the repost of the subject. I'm just curious, as I'm pretty sure most laser pens have pots and mine didn't seem to have one =/. Thanks anyways.

rhd

I realise pot modding is a killer of diodes everywhere, and probably is mentioned everywhere too. Sorry for the repost of the subject. I'm just curious, as I'm pretty sure most laser pens have pots and mine didn't seem to have one =/. Thanks anyways.

Huh? Since when do "most" have pots? State your source.

And what's the point here? Suppose you could TRIPLE the output, wouldn't that be amazing?!?

No...you'd have a 3mW laser...

Huh? Since when do "most" have pots? State your source.

And what's the point here? Suppose you could TRIPLE the output, wouldn't that be amazing?!?

No...you'd have a 3mW laser...
I have no source. Like I said, I'm very new to lasers. I just assumed that all lasers had pots in them (indeed, a stupid mistake). Besides, they probably aren't 1mw anyway. I just thought it'd be something to keep me busy, even if it doesn't work (which it hasn't).

Things

Most used to have pots in them, but nowdays they're made so cheaply that a pot is probably 1/4 the price of the entire laser, so cheaper to just leave it out. The components are also very low quality, and simply cannot handle being modded anymore.

Hint: those lasers are already over 1mW in power. All of them. The green is probably pushing 5-10mW, and the 405nm is guaranteed to be pushing 10mW or more; the el cheapo "5mW" one I got was pushing about 35mW.

That whole "1mW" is to avoid attention from authorities. It actually costs more to ensure they're below their stated power than just let them run at whatever power they'll run at naturally.

Last edited: