Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Post your random pics!

GSS

I can imagine how it looked to the eye:) with that green against the stars. These darn city lights will never give me chance. Thx Gabe

Gabe

That is awesome! I'm so jealous . I keep hoping to be able to see the aurora down here someday.

Well it looks like it's not unheard of for you guys in Washington, albiet only a few times a year. This was actually only the second time I remember seeing them, and the first time I've photographed them. I highly recommend you check out any aurora watch networks, websites, or news pages for your area, to see if it's worth driving out into dark skies to catch a glimpse of :)

during a solar flare in the early 20th century, the northern lights were so widespread and intense, that a group of explorers climbing a mountain near the equator saw both the northern and southern lights at the same time.

Like that green glow from the sphere in the original Heavy Metal movie.
Did you hear it calling you?

Gabe

Oh yeah, that one was insane. Could you imagine the lights so bright that you could read with them, and it looked like morning outside?

That would be so amazing. They said there was an event on that scale in 2012, but it missed earth. Sadly, I don't think seeing the lights would be worth having our satellites and power grid destroyed :eek:

That would be so amazing. They said there was an event on that scale in 2012, but it missed earth. Sadly, I don't think seeing the lights would be worth having our satellites and power grid destroyed :eek:

Yeah, wouldn't quite be worth it XD

Teej

Maybe worth it. ?..

A lot of us would probably at least get the day off

:eg:

diachi

Crap sorry! I see now how confusing it may look when you don't know what its of. They're the Northern Lights, far off into the horizon at the time but they eventually came right overhead. The green and yellow is the light itself, the white at the bottom is the snowy ground, and the white specs are stars, for reference. Sorry :eek:

Looks like you guys down south got quite the show! I'm jealous! :D

Nice pictures :)

Gabe

Looks like you guys down south got quite the show! I'm jealous! :D

Nice pictures :)

Hah, feels weird being referred to as from "down south". But I'd imagine you get to see the lights pretty often, no?

diachi

Hah, feels weird being referred to as from "down south". But I'd imagine you get to see the lights pretty often, no?

Normally yes, but this winter has been really cloudy, which is normally not the case. Got a little bit of the lights last night, nothing impressive though. Hopefully we'll get a good show before summer arrives.

On the plus side, all those clouds were keeping the temperatures barely below freezing. That changed this week though! :(

New portable music setup

Ipod touch 5th gen > Oppo HA-2 Headphone amp > Phillips M1MKII headphones

20160108_182727[1] by TwirlyWhirly555, on Flickr

Must get a good sound out of that! Very nice! :drool:

Gabe

Normally yes, but this winter has been really cloudy, which is normally not the case. Got a little bit of the lights last night, nothing impressive though. Hopefully we'll get a good show before summer arrives.

On the plus side, all those clouds were keeping the temperatures barely below freezing. That changed this week though! :(

Same here, not cloudy but the winter has been unusually warm. Been mostly -10° to -15°, hardy ever going past -20°!! :wave::wave: later this week we're forecast a high of -1°, I think I'm gonna go photographing around the city them :D