Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Post your pics of unique builds no-one else has

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Sorry Grainde, I just had to...

..Tease a bit... :crackup:

Alright, enough teasing, where do I sign-up for my very own RGB phaser, laser, ray gun, ultra cool rainbow maker? ;);)
Seriously, AD, that is one hell of a project, and it definitely fits in the "unique builds" catagory!

Thanks to you and Grainde for documenting the build process for us! :yh:

I have also enjoyed watching this project from beginning to finished. I'm betting these won't be the last two built. :yh:

Cool, I bet you spent a lot for those babies and I bet a few members would be happy to pay enough to make you a fair profit, if you sold them :)

Tailcap and battery tube is taken from flashlight, but rest of the parts are DIY, contact boards, heatsink etc..

I've been looking for reasonable priced Online CNC services. (Protolabs eg.)

Just trying to design Modular Host Parts for myself and I'm planning to release all my host part designs for free at GrabCad some point.
I hope that prices will come down in future.

Hopefully in near future you just:
1. Go to GrabCad > 2. Choose your parts > 3. Order those parts from online service > 4. Assembly your host = Win

tailcaps_fusion.png

host_fusion.png

We need a 'custom host to order' situation just like the post above. That would be awesome!

Are we 'there' yet ?

Last edited:
We need a 'custom host to order' situation just like the post above. That would be awesome!

Are we 'there' yet ?

Unfortunately, not yet.. Making tooling paths / CAM from CAD files is still time consuming and quite expensive part of manufacturing CNC'd custom hosts.

DMLS may come a LOT cheaper in near future, prices are still VERY HIGH, but have come down from $20,000 > $2,000 in one-two years..

3d_hubs.png

Last edited:
ArcticDude,
If and when it happens, thank you for working on it. Much appreciated.
My wish list would include:
1) a battery tube to fit 2x18650, and better yet, a 2x21700.
2) a head to fit a DTR 25mm module.

Last edited:
I've had an idea for a one of a kind host for a while. I should be able to get the tail cap and body parts. The problem is the head. It will have to be three parts. If there's someone that could at least 3d model it, that would be great.

I've had an idea for a one of a kind host for a while. I should be able to get the tail cap and body parts. The problem is the head. It will have to be three parts. If there's someone that could at least 3d model it, that would be great.

I could share some of my free time for 3D CAD modeling ( max 20 hours or so )
But I hope it's not something extra complicated :)

Last edited:
I could share some of my free time for 3D CAD modeling ( max 20 hours or so )
But I hope it's not something extra complicated :)

Thanks for the offer. I'm gonna send you a PM since I would like to keep my idea under wraps until the host itself is done.

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Yeah, I think Chris is going to have to apply for a permit to carry that thing, could definitely be considered a weapon.

Spoomples

New 85 cm long host (left side) being made for me in Vietnam by Trinh. The small one for scale, not mine.

That's something else. Did you order that just to have a comedically large laser, or are you making something absurdly powerful? You could probably stuff that DPSS head of yours into it, with room for all the batteries needed to power it.