Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Possibly broken 405nm diode.

I don't think it is but...

Is it possible to fix or repair a broken 405nm diode from a PHR-803T laser sled that has been damaged by heat?

With a bit of work done on my project, and the output current set to 115mA... I don't think that electricity could damage the diode.
My current driver is the rkcstr Micro-Drive v3. It is fully adjustable.

Its probably heat, because I left the soldering iron on the pins too long.
I had to do this because I needed to solder on the driver board onto the diode itself.

And another thing, If its not possible to repair the diode, I might need new tactics on how to solder the driver onto the diode... without breaking it.
Or if there is a better alternative to soldering or diode connection.

Thanks, Iso.

:thanks:

If a diode is dead, there is no way to repair it, just replace it.

As for connecting power to your diode, you should always solder it. Conductive glues
and other methods of making electrical connections can kill laser diodes if the
connection were to fail intermittently. Just practice soldering, small connections like
diodes are easy with a little patience.

EDIT: Dang your fast Dave

You can get a New PHR-803T Sled Cheap for around 10 bucks:)

I would also practice on the dead diode before attempting to use the new one :)

As expected this morning, as it powered up after soldering... it burned up.

However, something strange happened tonight.
It now turns on properly, and is extremely dim. In fact its so dim, I can look into the 'beam' without an afterimage. No harm done!? Its wavelength is also off. Without the lenses, the circle shined onto the wall is purple, with a small amount of blue on the sides.

With the cooling off of the diode, do you think it may have repaired itself or what? I was tripped out when I saw that the diode did turn on about 8 hours later, bit dimmed down. According to the other posts in relevance to the PHR-803T, output should be around 80-120mW, depending on current.

Now that the laser diode has 'repaired' it self a bit... what should I do next? I think I might get a new diode soon, but I'd like to hear your guys' opinions.

Tips on removing the PCB on the back of the diode when harvesting? I don't want to use the soldering iron too much. I've seen a few pictures of people remove the PCB fine without the soldering iron.

Here is one.
http://wine-in-a-box.org/ebay/405dt08118S.jpg

Also... during the steps in which I pressed and harvested the diode, no physical damage was seen on the diode. I did it carefully and slowly.

=P

In fact its so dim, I can look into the 'beam' without an afterimage.

erg. Don't want to be a safety-cat, but thats 405nm... I wouldn't do that even if it was dim... that is not a human-tissue-friendly wavelength at any intensity.

Please be careful and use proper safety.:eek:DO NOT LOOK INTO THE LASER:eek:!!!

That is not safe practice!!! You only have 1 set of eyes!!!! just because its not bright doesn't mean it wont do damage.

I highly recommend you read on safety before progressing further with your laser project!!!

Edit: aryntha- you beat me to it. :) Dang your fast:)

Yeah I know not to look into it.
Can't even put out a spot on a wall 2 ft away.