Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Possible to get very cheap complete kits?

I wasn't sure what section to post this in, but I figured this would be the best one, since it's about learning how to build.

Does anyone know of any extremely cheap complete kits available somewhere, that include every component: host, driver, heatsink, lens, wires, battery spring/anchor, module? Minus the diode, of course, for legal reasons. I'd probably just grab some cheap red one from an old DVD-burner.

I'm talking in the range of $40-50 for everything but the diode.

I ask because I'm really wanting to learn how to do all of this myself to avoid the pain of having to contact several companies to ship components to a builder. Unfortunately, I'm working a near-minimum-wage job going toward tuition at a major university, apartment rent, groceries, and gas, so it's difficult to justify spending $150 on all of this, and $70 more on a nice diode when I'm probably going to destroy a few parts while learning.

I've checked out Jayrob, Ehgemus, and a few others. It's great for having my own laser built, but just seems a bit pricey to risk while I'm learning.

Thanks!

you can contract a build but no there no entry cheap level kit,
The cheapest is a project box laser. a 3x 2x 1x project box that runs off 9V. i can make a heatsink driver all for under 50$ cost.

Those that you listed are the only complete kits i know of. If you're willing to wait you can get all the parts separately quite easily, I know that rayfoss sells a nice torch host, and just about everything else you'd need would probably be found at o-like.

Well, this is disappointing.

Regarding a host, is there any machining or any parts that need to be added or altered in order to turn one of those DX flashlights into a suitable laser host? Maybe I'll just buy everything seperately.

yes a heatsink. and maybe a driver. sometimes you can use the led driver.

I think it's Flaminpyro that has these hosts ready to be made into lasers, you may want to ask him for pricing if you're interested in these hosts with a heatsink. :)

[host] $9.90
buy an mxdl host DealExtreme: $9.90 5W LED Flashlight (3xAAA)
OR
you can try one of these which i bought, but i dunno if its any good yet
5W LED Flashlight Superbright Powerful Torch Lamp Light on eBay.ca (item 180489804211 end time 02-Aug-10 06:55:45 EDT)

[heatsink] $0.50 or less, and perhaps a jayrob heatsink if you plan on using higher power diodes in future
as for heatsinks you could just use a couple washers like i did

[driver] $11+shipping
you could probably build your own driver for 5 bucks or more as you usually have to buy pieces of resistors and etc in packs
or if you're lazy, you can just get the rkcstr driver for 11 bucks, i forgot what the discount coupon code was but if you look around you might find one
Micro-Drive V3 adjustable driver (assembled) - $13.00 : rkcstr.com, Micro-Drive and laser diode electronics

[power source] $6.55 + $5.16
http://cgi.ebay.ca/4-TrustFire-1044...tem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3caf82ff7f
and a charger http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.14885

[module] $3.39
http://hightechdealz.com/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=40

Last edited:

Morgan

It is possible to get really cheap complete kits. They're in the UK but much cheaper than the other offerings.

Here's a link to the kits, (a couple of options are available and I'm told there are more on the way so if you don't see what you want then ask). I don't know if they ship diodes due to the FDA rules but they're easy enough to get hold of, again I'd ask.

Laser Hosts and Laser Kits - Items - OdicForce Lasers Online Shop

... And here's the review

http://laserpointerforums.com/f52/odicforce-entry-level-laser-kits-53349.html

I hope that's the sort of thing you're after.

M
:)

Last edited:
Something I've been wanting to try which I've seen other people do is get some copper washers and thermal epoxy them together for a heatsink. You can get 12mm inner diameter ones which should fit right over an Aixiz module, and you can stack up however many you need for good coverage. Should be fine in project box.

thermal epoxy is pretty dam expensive

do you think soldering will make a decent seal?

like i doubt low powered diodes could melt the solder

I don't think thermal epoxy is all that expensive. At least I don't remember paying much for it. Maybe it was on sale when I got mine.

Soldering them together would probably be okay. The diode is not going to melt solder. Probably some thermal grease between each one and maybe some kapton tape to hold it all together would be fine too. But this is all hypothetical, I haven't tried it yet.

Morgan

^Have you gone through the links?!!! I don't think you've read the replies at all!

The links I've posted are the cheapest complete kits I've seen from a genuine supplier, (that can include the thermal paste and everything!), and you are advocating oddball homebrew solutions???! I am telling you that from experience, these kits are all you require for less than $30, if that!

These are the answers to the OP, and I'll post them again -

The link...

The review...

http://laserpointerforums.com/f52/odicforce-entry-level-laser-kits-53349.html

M

Last edited:
i heard that host isnt that great, i've considered it before

but its worth a try considered i was planning to use it for a phr

^Have you gone through the links?!!! I don't think you've read the replies at all!

The links I've posted are the cheapest complete kits I've seen from a genuine supplier, (that can include the thermal paste and everything!), and you are advocating oddball homebrew solutions???! I am telling you that from experience, these kits are all you require for less than $30, if that!

These are the answers to the OP, and I'll post them again -

The link...

The review...

http://laserpointerforums.com/t53349/

M

Well, why don't you jump up and down about it? What I read in the OP is that he didn't want to have a bunch of stuff shipped, and that he wanted to learn how to do things himself. Maybe "do all of this myself" means different things to different people. Maybe he wants something he can just assemble. I thought he wanted to get some components for a few dollars and build from scratch. In such a build, the heat sink would be the most expensive part to buy or would require special tools to make. I offered an off the shelf alternative that he could pick up for a couple bucks from any hardware store. Not sure why that would get you all worked up.

Your review link doesn't work.

Also, you're on my list.

Well, why don't you jump up and down about it? What I read in the OP is that he didn't want to have a bunch of stuff shipped, and that he wanted to learn how to do things himself. Maybe "do all of this myself" means different things to different people. Maybe he wants something he can just assemble. I thought he wanted to get some components for a few dollars and build from scratch. In such a build, the heat sink would be the most expensive part to buy or would require special tools to make. I offered an off the shelf alternative that he could pick up for a couple bucks from any hardware store. Not sure why that would get you all worked up.

Your review link doesn't work.

Also, you're on my list.

Oh do be quiet. When you ask someone some advice, and someone else spends some of their valuable time penning a reply, it is common courtesy to at least acknowledge that someone has made a reply, especially when the kit that Morgan provided appears to be PERFECT for the OP.

He asked for a kit including driver from one person/company for <$50. He was given a link to a kit for $30 including driver.

The review link doesn't work because of the forum meltdown yesterday, not because of any fault of Morgans.

Finally,
Also, you're on my list
Grow up.

Rob