Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Possible New Host!!

Ok, I went shopping today with my mum, and of corse I went past the torch section at the shops, and sure enough I found a great torch which I think would make a great host. I'm not too sure what host this is, all I could remember was what it looks like. I did a google search and within the first 20 pages I have found a host which looks almost exactly the same as the one I saw in the shops.

I wanted your opinions on what you think about the host. The head of the host has a plastic lens and then a straight drop down to the PCB where the 9 LED's are mounted to. I think this would work awesome with a custom made HS and a flex drive mounted on the PCB. The other benefit of the torch is that it has 3 AAA size battery compartment. It is similar to the 3405 host's battery compartment. It is also extremely small and can fit in the palm of your hand. As far as I can remember the host has no writing on it either so that is another plus for the host. Here are a few pics I found on google of a very simular host.

yhst-24067115789173_2076_48018749

yhst-24067115789173_2076_48135103

If you's think this is a good host I can buy it tomorrow and give a review and show it disassembled. If you's still think its good I can offer this as a kit, including HS and host only (will not be selling complete kits since its a hassle with customs etc..).

Thanks! Can't wait for your thoughts! -Adrian

Last edited:

To me it looks rather similar to some other hosts i've seen but i'm not sure if they were
offered as kits, none the less it looks like a very nice host. The assorted colors are a nice touch, i wouldn't mind seeing more on this little flashlight.

Yes these look sort of similar to the MXDL 3W, but instead of having 1x cr123 batteries it has 3x AAA batteries so 3x 10440's can be used with a rckstr driver (if it fits) or 3x AAA batteries and a flexdrive.

Yeah, Pocket pal all the way. A - I know which one your talking about in the shops. I've done some measuring and the SKU 46 HS won't fit right in that host (by jayrob).

It would have to have it's own.

GL

~Tom

This is the exact same host that jander uses for his builds, I'm going to post some pictures of it when I get some time to use the camera. He figured a very good way to turn it into a host without the need of a lathe.

Tabish

Yup, it's the pocket pal.

I'm not a big fan of it though. Too fat lol

The heads on those units don't twist off I'm willing to bet... If they do than buy them all up cause they are all going to the way of the Dodo.

I know the pic shows the one that do, but the one that the stores have been pushing lately have a none removable head and no room for nothing.:(

and thanks Niko... how is that little unit doing. Did you get my memo on splitting the ring on those, it makes the rings total land area grip the module better. That and a small amount of the thermal paste = long life.;-p

Yup. Those are nice and inexpensive. Bought one of the blue ones and i've been thinking about using it for my future PHR build. It's cheaply built, but the clicky at the end works nicely. The only thing is that the Aixiz module will probably stick out quite a bit, with the driver and the spring inside the housing.
- Robert

LMAO are you serious!! lol soz guys.. I never looked into jayrobs hosts in detail, so it just slipped my mind. I can see why he decided on making kits for these, they are pretty simple and look good too. I can't remember if they twist off, but if they do I'm gonna buy one and try it out.

I also saw another one that I thought would make a good host, but I can't seem to find any pics of it, or pics of something similar. It uses 2x AAA and has a large long head, perfect for a full body Aixiz housing. I will go back today or Thursday to have a look at it. LOL probably by the time I get back with the torch, jayrob will already have 20 kits ready to roll out :crackup:

Any way, this thread was POSSIBLE new host, so at least I don't look like that big of an idiot :D Thanks guys for the info.. I'll get back to you about the twist top pocket pal, and the other host. -Adrian