Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Popcorn!

Does anybody here have a video of a laser popping pocorn?!? I can't seem to find one. ;D I'm guessing you would need to use microwavable popcorn by ripping open a bag. :-/

randomlugia said:
Does anybody here have a video of a laser popping pocorn?!? I can't seem to find one.  ;D I'm guessing you would need to use microwavable popcorn by ripping open a bag.  :-/
IIRC, there were a few threads on this in the past. It's not practical to do, all that happens is that the popcorn is burned. I think someone tried to shine three lasers on different sides of the popcorn, and it still just burned.

What about a 10W+ CO2 focused down to a spot about the size of a dime? :D

I've burned my fair share of popcorn with lasers. The problem is the physics of popping corn. In order to pop a kernel the internal temperature of the endosperm must be superheated so that the kernel ruptures and the dense starch expands and basically turns itself inside out. Well a laser provides energy incident upon the pericarp and not the endosperm so the kernel just burns. The kernel needs even heat across the entire kernel without having high energy densities that lasers provide.

Things

Yep, this has been discussed before, and Frothy outlined it perfectly. The little spot where the laser hits just burns the kernel, the heat isnt dissipated around the popcorn enough.