Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

PLT5 488nm diode for <300$?

480nm diodes probably have a lot of hits, why not bring in the extra traffic... a sleazy move on their part, which just set it in my head that I won't be ordering anything from them until the end of time.

I just contacted NICHIA and the don't want to know about alternative suppliers. The told prices above 2k per piece (no matter what single mode diode it is). So let's hope that the new sharp ones will pop out soon!

Another source just popped up, o-like!

OSRAM PLT5488 488nm 60MW Navy blue laser diode /M feet/ 5.6mm di [ol-488-1.2] - $545.00 : Zen Cart!, The Art of E-commerce

20 units in stock, $545usd per pc
This is the cheapest, commercially available price i've seen. next would be the ebay sellers @~900usd.

Not sure how Joeys going on the GB?

Hey jnrpop,

I just clicked on that link and seems like o-like isn't stocking them anymore. The webpage wouldn't even load up! Slowly but surely these diodes are going down in price however :yh:

-Alex

Encap

Hey jnrpop,

I just clicked on that link and seems like o-like isn't stocking them anymore. The webpage wouldn't even load up! Slowly but surely these diodes are going down in price however :yh:

-Alex

They are still listed as available on the O-like site @ $545.00 here--3rd one down in the list: 465nm-488nm laser : Zen Cart!, The Art of E-commerce

Doubt they will ever go much lower in price --no demand.
Would guess the novelty low power laser pointer market is very small/not significant business-wise.
For pointer use how many "blue" diodes are available already and for relatively reasonable prices?
The real market for 488nm is biomedical applications--fluorescence microscopy, flow cytometry

Last edited:
They are still listed as available on the O-like site @ $545.00 here--3rd one down in the list: 465nm-488nm laser : Zen Cart!, The Art of E-commerce

Doubt they will ever go much lower in price --no demand.
Would guess the novelty low power laser pointer market is very small/not significant business-wise.
For pointer use how many "blue" diodes are available already and for relatively reasonable prices?
The real market for 488nm is biomedical applications--fluorescence microscopy, flow cytometry

Hey Encap,

Must be my phone then, the website still load up even with that link. Darn! Yeah, we don't have nearly enough influence to drive prices down :(

-Alex

hap - make sure you request the desktop site on your phone. Their mobile site is broken.

I think if they get them for this price, somebody else will go a bit lower sometime soon. I vote to pass on o-like and wait.

Even at $545.00 I'm not a buyer. I will absolutely wait until the price comes down or Sharp releases some diodes. It's a shame we haven't seen any of the 473nm to 478nm diodes again. I was hoping someone would have posted a reasonable price for some more by now. :undecided:

hap - make sure you request the desktop site on your phone. Their mobile site is broken.

I think if they get them for this price, somebody else will go a bit lower sometime soon. I vote to pass on o-like and wait.

Hey Z,

It doesn't give me the option unfortunately. I click on the link and all I get is a "site info not given" or something like that. I'll check it out when I'm on my laptop later! :)

-Alex

I know on android in chrome you can click on the options menu at the top and check 'request desktop site'. Not sure if it's the same across all browsers. Worth a shot at least.

the price is definitely coming down. I did some digging and I think it's because it's stopped being a preliminary item, and is now going into full production (as I guessed previously) This brings the cost of manufacture down significantly. This also pushes the older prelim stuff onto surplus, which is what we are now buying...as it is now 'obsolete' material. 488 solid state is getting cheaper diode wise, as OPSL has cornered the laser market pretty hard in recent years. It's fairly cheap and packs tons of benefits.

Last edited:
Yup. Most of the older datasheets say version 0.1 (or don't state a version), O-Like's states version 0.2. I find it odd that suddenly two companies are pushing full production runs of 488nm diodes in a relatively close timespan (sharp, you coming soon?)

Hopefully these 488's become mainstream enough to get them for the same price as those 505 diodes! Imagine picking up a 488 diode for about $30. Oh man! :D

-Alex

I'm not sure if anyone has posted this 488nm sourced from aliexpress, it's $533.5 for 3pcs+
Slightly cheaper than the o-like which is $545 per pc :D

check it out here

EDIT:
Oh shoot! it's already posted by Atomicrox
Then I presume the link on aliexpress is keeps gone and poped up back and forth, because i regularly search interesting things in there,

Anyway, got some news from some of laser diode distributor from alibaba, they don't have these particular thing as of yet, just as i thought so. :(

Last edited: