Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Pink Laser 500mW

hydguy

Ok, If there is no "black light" how can my front projection DLP projector display black on a white screen 20 feet away?:thinking:

hydguy

:wtf: the screen even has cinimagic (think thats what they called it) coating, it almost sparkles white when the projector is off. The blacks are very dark. Dont they mix all colors to get the black?

hydguy: I think it's called something like perception of relative luminance. If, for example, you project a white rectangular box (with a hollow inside) on to your white screen, the inside will look black, but the portion of the screen that is outside the projection area will look also look black. It is impossible for the space inside the box to look darker than the portion of screen outside the projection area.

Here is a famous example: File:Grey square optical illusion.png
EDIT: to clarify, in the above-linked picture, squares A and B are the exact same colour.
EDIT2: It's called the simultaneous contrast illusion, apparently: File:Gradient-optical-illusion.svg

Last edited:

Low-Q

Actually that's in interesting idea... anybody know the wavelength of light for a black light?
"Black light are present in the wavelengts we cannot see (UV). Anything between 380 - 340nm could be interesting - for dye lasers? However, do not look directly into the "black" beam - even if you cannot see it... If you do, everything else will get pretty much black as well!

Vidar

Low-Q: Ultraviolet light is not actually black, some people simply call it that because it's shorter than UV and sounds cool. IR is also invisible, but nobody calls that "black".

I want a black laser too! Maybe some kind of diode that sucks light energy out of a confined beam and can burn stuff by removing its energy so fast. Almost like how liquid nitrogen burns by not heat, but the removal of energy so fast xD

Anyone wanting a black laser, will have to settle for a brown laser. The brown laser is just an orange laser with black added. Adding black just means turning down the intensity, with less power being projected it can "appear" brown.

Wooooaaaa those red/mag/pink laser pics are niiiiiccce!!!! :beer:

I will give you $250 for this laser

Dude, this thread is over 5 months old. Reviving dead threads is not a good thing (without good reason). It's a good way to get flamed.

Use your first post to introduce yourself to the forum. If you are interested in offering to buy whoever's laser, send them a PM. ;)