Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Pink Hand Grenade PL450 {PIC HEAVY}

I finally got my girlfriend's laser done! It started life as an MP3 player.

DSC03618_zps5cdf4afd.jpg

DSC03619_zps4ff927d3.jpg

I took out the speaker on the bottom and the lever on the top that housed the switch.

DSC03627_zps8a00722e.jpg

Then I added jump wires to connect the left and right twist functions to the push button leads. Now the laser can be operated via twisting or pushing the lever.
DSC03678_zpse76d3703.jpg

Then I used a dremel to make the pill that houses the module, driver, and battery. This is where the driver sits. The module would be pointed up if it were installed.
DSC03962_zps0f5895c0.jpg

And this is where the battery sits. A tiny 10180 powers the driver set at 200mA.
DSC03965_zps4d9179b9.jpg

And now for the end result:
DSC03978_zps6540cbea.jpg

DSC03973_zps52eec57e.jpg

DSC03975_zpsf81474a8.jpg

Last edited:

Pman

Ha! You did it:)
Unique and awesome.
Be a man and give it back to her now Lol
REP tomorrow when I get out of bed as my phone won't allow it:( Really annoying.

Wow jav. Laser bob Vila. Great craftsmanship

Laser Bob Vila, I'm still laughing at that. Thanks, I'm glad you like it. I think I'm going to order those LED's and drivers this week. Don't let me forget :)

Ha! You did it:)
Unique and awesome.
Be a man and give it back to her now Lol
REP tomorrow when I get out of bed as my phone won't allow it:( Really annoying.

I did, finally got the courage to try my hand at Dremel heat sinking. Not bad, but it takes a while and it certainly isn't lathe quality. But as soon as I get back to my house I'm going to look for one. Funny you should mention giving it back, we went down to the pool tonight and were beam watching. I ended up draining the battery and didn't bring a spare :(

Super cool and a unique host. +1

Thanks Skeez, I'll be doing my grey one sometime. I'll probably wait until I get a lathe for that one though.

Last edited:

Tmack

Oh yeah. Lathe for yours! Dremel for hers! Haha. Page outa my book. But babe, you can't even see it! It's not like it matters. I'm just a perfectionist with my stuff,,,,,ya know?

Oh yeah. Lathe for yours! Dremel for hers! Haha. Page outa my book. But babe, you can't even see it! It's not like it matters. I'm just a perfectionist with my stuff,,,,,ya know?

HAHA, no it's more like 3 days of my life I'll never get back making the heat sink. And it's far from enjoyable. I'll still make them with the Dremel until I get a lathe just not that one. You can't really tell the size from the photos but it's TINY. The over all outer dimensions are 3in X 1.5 the Heat sink was machined from 1 1/16" Al and was 2" when I started but I took some off to make a little more room. There's a reason it's using a 10180 (that's 10mm in diameter and 18mm tall)

Besides, she just wants a pretty blue light :p

Tmack

Wow yeah from the pictures I really wouldn't have expected those dimensions. Lol yeah mine wanted a pretty purple one. (Cough eBay pen cough) 4 bucks ill never get back ;)

Oh wow, that's creative. Maybe someone could make a youtube channel where they build lasers into small household appliances. I wouldn't mind seeing a toaster made to hold two 50mW 532s in each bread slot.