Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Pimped out Open Can or PHR-803T

Hi guys!

I am being given $140 from my mom for finishing this year with all A's and a 4.0 GPA in school. I have  alimited amount of money to spend, and i will be making myself a pimped out laser. What should i make first, a Pioneer 115D 20x Open Can laser with a custom heatsink and a lavadrive, or a PHR-803T with a custom heatsink and lavadrive? I will be also be adding some other stuff, but those are minor details (like fire decals and stuff). Since the 4th of July is coming up, i want to impress all my friends by lighting matches and fuses, and pointing so far that the eye can't see, so power is in the winning league. The problem is: i am afraid by the time i build the open can laser, the PHR-803T diodes will be no longer available :(

The other problem is: If i build the BR laser first, the 4th of July will probably be over :(
And i won't be able to impress anyone with sheer power...

So, i am leaving the decision up to you guys, what should i build?
Do you think the PHR-803T diodes will last?

iewed

The 803T diodes will not last as they are no longer in production. DVD's will be around for a long time, and get cheaper and cheaper until we have 52X writers for $20. The PHR-803T diodes where used in older HD-DVD sleds, so there is already a limited amount, and the amount will only dwindle down. I (nor anyone else on this forum, to my knowledge) will not know when the 803T diodes will run out, but your best bet is probably to buy an 803T and make a Blu-Ray laser. Keep in mind that if you go with the "more power" choice, you'll need safety glasses, which will reduce your budget by $50.

I am also pretty sure that the 803T's burn on an equal level to those open cans, so go with the dilda ray

daguin

Maelstrom said:
I am also pretty sure that the 803T's burn on an equal level to those open cans, so go with the dilda ray

They burn better mW for mW.

Peace,
dave

SHouldnt a 100 mW BR be able to light the fuses? I was reading someone whos BR was lighting red and white matches quicker then their 20x red

i've lit white matches with my bluray running at 100 ma takes about 15 seconds though, the same as my infinity 95 did before i modded it ;)