Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Pics that will make you cry

Nah, mine's bigger:
s6301551_c.jpg

I know, I'm cheating, this is a good old gas laser. But seriously, where do you find dead lasers to repair? If I even had a little bit more money, I'd buy dead high end lasers to do the same thing, but those aren't just laying around.

I use a similar Spectra Physics Millenia at my university to pump a femtosecond Ti:sapphire laser, but it's a much shorter head (still 5.5W though).
We also have one just like yours, but it needs a repair, the cooling fan regularly stalls, letting the compressor overheat and stop, after which the laser stops because the diode temperature gets too high. But that stupid cooling fan in the PSU is impossible to repair without taking nearly everything apart :(

We also have one just like yours, but it needs a repair, the cooling fan regularly stalls, letting the compressor overheat and stop, after which the laser stops because the diode temperature gets too high. But that stupid cooling fan in the PSU is impossible to repair without taking nearly everything apart :(

I can do repair or replacement. Send me a PM.

The thing is: I'm in the Netherlands, at Twente University. It's the pump laser for the oscillator of the large femtosecond laser setup used for laser wakefield acceleration research.

But we're quite the DIY types here, my supervisor fixed a ruptured water cooling hose of a spectra physics quanta-ray because the technical staff had a day off. He came looking how I was doing when suddenly the laser stops. I look at the laser (we ran it without cover) and the laser was wet. Good thing the high voltage terminals didn't get wet. Anyway, we dried the laser and he replaced the hose.
And my work with the laser? Beam profile and power measurement, mirror alignment, replacing the lambda/2 plate and the KD*P crystal and alignment of these.

I think we can handle a fan :)

Alright, let me know if you need assistance on the power supply, I have service manuals for them.