Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

pics 3/15

3/14/14
Here are some pics using mostly fan diffraction gratings and prisms. The last batch of pics are also using my glass sphere, and a small uranium glass sphere from ebay (thanks Crazyspaz for the heads up on this and yes I did buy it). with some 405 nm's to make the sphere glow. On a few of them I put the glowing uranium sphere behind the normal glass sphere for an “eclipse” effect. Also, a few pics with the 473nm from Wannaburnstuff (easily my favorite laser), and one nice one with a 589nm 5mw.

Since I have still photographed the past few weekends but haven’t posted any pics, I have a backlog of photos I still haven’t posted. One batch is of my plasma globe in use with my projectors creating some really nice eye candy shots. Other sets are the plasma gobe with diffraction gratings and handhelds. And the last unposted sets are of the uranium glass sphere I got in simple and more complex scenarios. Perhaps I will post some of them if there is an interest in them.
Lastly, a thank you to Gismo for his encouragement!

**my favorite pics from this post have been added to my "Best of" thread 3/18/14**

Last edited:

Favorite shots are of the one with only the 473nm being used, and the 594nm/589nm combination.

That being said, +1 for awesome shots :)

gismo

It's great to have you back, Bruce:). Nothing else as a top-notch quality to be expected here! Absolutely luxurious show, with a sensitive usage of crystal sphere, prism and the uranium marble at last. I have to get one of them marble spheres sooner or later as well. Definitely love demonstration of spheroid shaped crystal objects (how they bend and reflect "photons") and your pics unleash the spirit of "laser beam-oh-logy" as much as it can be expressed through the camera.

Keep up the good work, your laser art is a crown jewel of the multimedia zone of lpf.com!

:bowdown:

Last edited:
Awesome photos as always bruce.

I particularly liked the reds in this set, the colour reminds me of the kind of lasers that were oh-so-common in sci-fi movies of the 80s and early 90s. Your camera really gives them that sci-fi feel - I'm guessing it's 635s?

the room looks well fogged up as well - I find incense works well but I want more - mind sharing how you do it please? A proper fogging setup may have to be my next investment.

Thanks Greenlander and Gismo!

trencheel303 - the red lasers are 638nm for Lasersbtb. I also use a chauvet fog machine. It cost me 50 dollars and a quart of fog fluid will last me at least 6 months of using it every weekend. I have used it every weekend for the past year and a half and is essential to my photography. Not that much fog is nesseccary to illuminate the beams. There is a thread on this forum about using glycerol but I find just having a fog machine is much easier. You should get yourself one.

IsaacT

Beautiful pics, and I am very glad to see you are still enjoying the 473!

Trencheel - when you do get a fog machine, like he said be sure not to overdue it. I did for many years and it made my beam shots look hazy. One or two spurts will do the trick.

PS - +3 Brucemir, although I am on my phone so I cannot type a message in the box.

Last edited:
Awesome photos :beer: I love the 473nm and 589nm diffraction grating shots

Awesome photos!!

One question.... What spectrum laser goggles did you wear when filling your home with lasers?:eek:

IsaacT

At a certain point with aligning beams you have to take the glasses off to make sure the beams are where you envisioned them.

Once all of the lasers are set, they are totally stationary and my glasses can come off and I can then get to my camera and try to compose the shot how I want it. The environment I photograph in is very controlled. I have a pair of safety glasses I got from Dragon Lasers about two years ago and they are good except for red lasers, so extreme care is used with them. When I move my tripod around, and I have to cross beams, I will turn my head the other way. Also the lasers I mostly use are between 5 and 200mw, except for my 405nm's which are 500 mw. My vest I wear in the winter in my garage is full of burn holes from the 405's. Since I have been photographing lasers, I have not had mishaps. My last visit to the optometrist was last month and all was normal.