Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

PHR-803T HD-DVD diodes GB# 3 <CLOSED>

Zom-B

I don't use a driver at all. I use a 20V lab power supply with accurate analog control (10-turn potmeter, not a simple one) and a 150-180 68-82 Ohm 2W resistor in series with the laser diode and multimeter.

[edit]Something like this setup
somethinglikethis.png

[edit]resistor value was not right, and I can't find the resistor I used atm, so I just calculated a new value which should be theoretically correct.

Just curious, have these shipped? I found out yesterday that I have to move to Washington next weekend.

I got mine, but haven't tested them. One of them had the metal protector broken off and the red+IR diode (in heat sink) had busted off as well. The violet diode looked intact, so I hope it's fine as I don't want to break them open to test without a host at the moment.

HumanSymphony said:
mine didnt work  :( no light. nothin. *sigh*  2 months wait and all these parts for nothin  :(

Just got home... mine came in yesterday...  YEAH!!

However, they looked damaged, one has the LD "hanging" out and the second one came with the cover pressed on/bent down the top...  :'(

I will test them today or tomorrow... hopefully they are operational   ;)

Thanks!

Attachments

• DSCN0753_small.JPG
    DSCN0753_small.JPG
    154.3 KB · Views: 67
Mine were in the same condition as yours jmgallego, though that metal shield thing around them was also busted. So long as the diodes work though, I don't care.

Bionic-Badger said:
Mine were in the same condition as yours jmgallego, though that metal shield thing around them was also busted.  So long as the diodes work though, I don't care.

Same here, it is what is inside that counts... we'll see ;D

Got mine yesterday also, thanks. So far only 2 of 10 were in perfect condition though none of the boxes showed signs of damage. The UV diode is intact and appears unharmed on all of them though. I have harvested and tested 4 of them and they work fine.

Zom-B

What's going on, amk? I can't even start imagining what my twelve will look like when I get them. I participated here because I want to buy working lasers (and wanted them cheaper than elsewhere), not to enroll in a gamble. From what I hear (especially HumanSymphony's case), it's like you're selling us second rate parts or worse. Were they already in this condition before you packed them?

jake21

i got my 10 and some are in bad shape i tested 5 so fare and 3 works so fare

I think these went for so cheap because they are broken parts. However, this doesn't necessarily mean the diodes are bad, only that it wouldn't work correctly as a replacement for an HD-DVD drive. I'm almost more worried about the sleds that look like they're in "good" condition, because it might mean the diode itself went bad, not just some mechanical damage.