Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

PHR-803 or 805?

Hi. Not meaning to sound like a noob or anything, but I'm buying some things from various places, and have noticed that I will have $10 or so spare, I'm going to do a red build, so i though I'd get a bluray diode/sled, but I'm not sure whether to get the PHR-803 or the 805. PHR-803T HD-DVD Sled. 405nm, 110mW or PHR-805T laser diode 405nm 100-120mW [M0025] - $10.79 : Modwerx Shop
Which one would you guys recommend?
Factors to consider are diode life and mw output. Also getting a driver from the PHR-803 link so if I bought that sled I would save on shipping etc. I'm not too sure if I should post this thread because I'm sure I will get a lot of negative speech, but I don't know what else to do. As soon as someone says something like "get the PHR-805 " etc I will happily delete this thread, so no worries

Thanks for your help

Blord

I have BDR-203 sled spare. It could be shipped together with the Aixiz module with the red diode. :whistle:

Last edited:
aah that sounds good. thanks blord. btw, whats a bdr 203. is it 6x or 8x etc.

Blord

They are much less now. Gonna Make You an Offer You Can't Refuse. :)

Here's my experience....

I feel that for whatever reason, the 803s are the better diode power wise. I don't have a professional LPM, but all my 803s are brighter than my 805s at the same current. Maybe that's just been luck of the draw.

Also it's a nice option to case case neutrality. That way you can use certain boost drivers in hosts which have a continuous negative feed through the heatsink and into the diode.

Plus the 803s are pretty classic diodes. You can't beat that :)

ok didnt understand most of what you said there, but thanks, ill go for the phr 803 after I'v done the bdr 203 build.
but i think what you meant is use the case pin as a negative feed for the circuit, i dont really need to do that, im going to be pretty much using ghostdrives in ALL of my builds, its the cheapest best driver i could find, and ghostchrome is really nice. but just to ask, how does the current get from the heatsink to the diode.

Last edited:
Here's my experience....

I feel that for whatever reason, the 803s are the better diode power wise. I don't have a professional LPM, but all my 803s are brighter than my 805s at the same current. Maybe that's just been luck of the draw.

Also it's a nice option to case case neutrality. That way you can use certain boost drivers in hosts which have a continuous negative feed through the heatsink and into the diode.

Plus the 803s are pretty classic diodes. You can't beat that :)

the brightness has to do with wavelength, not power. i.e. a 650nm 500mw wont seem as bright as a 200mw green.. small differences in wavelength can affect your eyes greatly..

ok didnt understand most of what you said there, but thanks, ill go for the phr 803 after I'v done the bdr 203 build.
but i think what you meant is use the case pin as a negative feed for the circuit, i dont really need to do that, im going to be pretty much using ghostdrives in ALL of my builds, its the cheapest best driver i could find, and ghostchrome is really nice. but just to ask, how does the current get from the heatsink to the diode.

The driver isn't what determines case polarity, the host does. I'm using a ghostdrive in a case negative build. And the charge goes from te battery contact, to the tail clicky, into the host, then it travels through the host, into and through the heatsink, then module, then the case of the diode. And in [for instance] PHR-805's and LPC-815's, their negative feed is also the case pin for the diode. So the charge going through the case also powers the negative for the diode =]

Last edited:
ok so if the charge powers the diode whats the point of a driver then. isnt their 3 pins? if one is positive and the another is negative and case, whats the last? and if you use your case pin as the current thingy do you need to solder connections from the driver for the negative contact? thanks for all your help guys

ok so if the charge powers the diode whats the point of a driver then. isnt their 3 pins? if one is positive and the another is negative and case, whats the last? and if you use your case pin as the current thingy do you need to solder connections from the driver for the negative contact? thanks for all your help guys

The driver limits the current to the driver. Straight batter power would over drive the diode and kill it. A driver limits the current to the specific needs of the diode. And the wiring all depends on the host and the driver and diode. I did an S06J diode which is case neutral like this:

Diode + --> driver LD +
Diode - --> driver LD -
Diode case --> driver IN -
Host + lead --> Driver IN

aah makes much more sense, i know about all the driver stuff, why it has to be used etc, its just the part when you said that sometimes the negative pin is also the case pin, i just couldnt figure it out in my head how the negative battery current is supposed to go through the driver, you couldnt solder 2leads onto the same pin, but thanks anyway for all your help. ill get a phr-803 after I finish with my current builds. what do you guys think, would i be able to sell them here?

Last edited:
Well the only time you'd need to use 2 leads to one pin would be when using dual drivers on a 445 build to minimize heat and use 1 battery. However, that issue is neither here nor there.

You could sell lasers here, but being how new you are, and you had to ask such simple questions, I doubt anyone will want to take that chance. Stick around for a while and you'll have more credibility.

well they wernt simple to me, im still learning. my original question was should i get a phr803 or 805, and seeing as i have no experience with these diodes i think it wasnt a simple question for me, it sort of just grew from there, but reading back on your post i get what you mean with the case and negative.

as for my sales, its going to be a good 1-2 months before i finish my red and bluray build, by then i hope i will be much more "known" , i wouldnt mind using middle man etc.

EDIT: just to clarify why i asked the question about how the current gets from the case into the case pin, i originally thought that a aixiz was plastic so i didnt have any idea how it got from the heatsink to the pin, like i said, i havnt had any experience with a aixiz module so i wouldnt know, but im trying my best to keep up