Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Photon capcitor idea

We can store energy in various forms including elctricity in the for of a battery for use latter when we want but what about light? Well imagine if we took for example a 500mw green laser beam and captured it's energy and after turning off the laser itself use the stored photons inside for latter use that could be released like a "burst" of collimated light still in a beam...well I was thinking that if you were able to create a special mirror that could be be controlled by an electrical signal that is reflective while on and "clear and transparent" when turned off then I it could work! If you take a laser's beam and pass it through such a 2 way mirror being able to let light in from the back side of the mirror but reflect it from the other side then with two mirrors just like this in perfect alighnment then the beam between the two mirrors would trap the incomming photons from the laser's beam with no exit point until the 2nd mirror turned "clear" again allowing the photons to pass out that side highly amplified in a Burst of laser light still collimated! Imagine being able to take a handheld green laser pointer and shine a 500mw green laser for 100seconds ON and build up the burning ability and brightness of the laser to release all that in a flash like a STAR WARS blaster sort of! If your into science let me know what you think of this idea. THANKS!

HIMNL9

Too much dispersions and dissipations.

You need "perfect mirrors", i mean, theorical ones, with 100% plane face, 100% reflection and 0% absorption, dispersion and dissipation, and, unfortunately, they don't exists, out from a book of phisic :)

When i was working with a CO2 laser cutter CNC, we had some of the better mirrors that you can find, on the light guide, cause the unit was 2KW CW ..... like, pure copper optically finished for the needed wavelenght, with 99,98% reflection ..... but the 0,02% absorption made indispensable having forced cooling of them with continuous coolant flux, otherwise they melt in few time .....

Maybe, when someone reach to build a force-field (non-material) 100% reflecting mirror .....

maxh

Like plasma mirrors.
For a capacitor I was thinking more along the lines of a Bose-Einstein condensate where you can slow the speed of light by a factor of 20 million. Pump in a bunch of high power pulses, then release the other laser beam that is controlling the speed of light through the condensate, letting all of the pulses out at once.

i have thought about this to before except just with light in general not a laser but with our technology it is impossible and i doubt it will be anytime soon and unless you have 45000 miles inbetween the mirrors you could blink and miss it.

While you can't exactly capture some light and save it for later, your idea in a sense does work inside Q-switched lasers. I have a laser here which has a Q-switched Nd:YAG crystal pumped by about 10 watts of 808nm. The Q-switch is normally closed, allowing 1064nm energy to build up to intense levels inside the YAG. The Q-switch then opens and dumps a multi KW pulse of energy out to be frequency tripled by some non-linear crystals.

Yep, qswitch is about as close you'll come to a "photon capacitor"

BTW: A bose-einstein condensate would A:not really release the light at once, just over the same time period as the light went in and B:it can become saturated with energy and break like anything else.

HTML:
A:not really release the light at once, just over the same time period as the light went in

no it would come out at one time. it would come out in the time that it takes the light to bounce between the 2 mirrors which would be pretty much instantaneous.

HTML:
A:not really release the light at once, just over the same time period as the light went in

no it would come out at one time. it would come out in the time that it takes the light to bounce between the 2 mirrors which would be pretty much instantaneous.

What? it has nothing to do with mirrors... it slows down the light, and that means that it slows down all the light equally.

maxh

Well the idea was to shoot a bunch of light in, then change the properties all of a sudden, such as by rapidly heating it, so that the light all came out at once.

Photon torpedo theory:thinking:

Losses eat up the energy before you could do anything with it.

HIMNL9

Photon torpedo theory:thinking:

Losses eat up the energy before you could do anything with it.

No, if you can move yourself faster than light ..... er ..... no, nevermind ..... (j/k :p)

The accumulation of energy, anyway, can also destroy the cell, have you considered also this part ?