Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Photo-reactive ink, paint, or other substance?

Chiboy4

I am in search of an ink, paint, or similar substance that is photo-reactive or photo-luminous, that changes color when struck with a short burst of a laser. Does any such substance exist? If so what power laser is required for the reaction to occur?

Hey, neat idea. The photo-reactive items I've seen are either very slow to change, or are heat-based (like "mood rings"). That certainly isn't my area though.

The more common method is to use a violet laser with glow-in-the-dark panel. This works with just a few mW, but the effect is obviously much more pronounced with higher power.

Snecho

Good points by Cyparagon.

Would be much better if you could actually describe what you are trying do/achieve/obtain.

Chiboy4

My goal is to measure the accuracy of a person pointing a laser and firing a quick burst at varying distances (let’s say 10-30 meters). Ideally I would like the laser to leave a mark on the target so the test subject knows where it struck. Think target shooting with a pistol.

Encap

You can always use your eyes to see where a laser dot hits. LOL

These guys make light and neat sensitive pigments -- see : https://www.olikrom.com/en/nos-produits/photochromes-encres-pigments-peintures-photochromiques/

Google the subject. Not something ever needed or discussed on LPF.
Would guess not an accurate way to measure anythng--sounds like dangerous toy related mix rather than scientific serious measurement related.

Here is a solution that will respond to a 405nm UV laser

Last edited:

Snecho

My goal is to measure the accuracy of a person pointing a laser and firing a quick burst at varying distances (let’s say 10-30 meters). Ideally I would like the laser to leave a mark on the target so the test subject knows where it struck. Think target shooting with a pistol.
Yes, ok, but for what purpose?
I hope you're not aiming lasers at people.

Chiboy4

Yes, ok, but for what purpose?
I hope you're not aiming lasers at people.
I am a business school student. I will not be aiming lasers at people under any circumstance. The ultimate goal is to develop a safe and inexpensive method for at home firearms training. Proper eye protection is always wore when handling lasers. Many companies already produce dry-fire cartridges that emit a laser light when struck with a firing pin. I am trying to develop a non-electronic target (preferably paper) that leaves a lasting mark.

A 3$usd 405 pointer and some GITD spray paint should be all you need.
I sprayed I 'scrim' with GITD and the effect will pretty good.
and some of the beam passed too- and hit more GITD behind it.
post some pics when you can--good luck---hak

There is a whole area of laser projectors devoted to this. Which do slow motion scanning in super high Rez. The last few SELEMs have had demos. Most of them are from a guy on PL named dkumpula. He is an awesome projector builder and in addition to his own 405 systems and Saturn and 506 system, he has built projectors for many people, including me.

Ask him about what he uses for the walls with the 405s, its not cheap but can last over an hour with the good stuff.

He is also working on a quicker "erase" ability using another laser to negate the glow.