Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Phobos Fasttech 532

Finally got my hands on a Phobos. Its a sweet little host. Decided to build my second laser of the night.

Everyone is familiar with this little guy. If your not, then you either just signed up or wear a helmet.

Had to set the module up for the host. Negative gets a spring, positives wire is removed. Module is case positive and pulls positive from the host.

I hate these threaded ends on these things so I pushed it down as far as I could and still having room for the set screw to bite.

Uhh then I just put it together. Really nothing cosmic about it.

Only real modification I did was to epoxy in this lens nut part to the focusing part of the host. It screws into the end of the module. More for looks than any function.

GITD rings on the host.

I have too many 532s...

Kind of a weird power curve here but it gets the job done.

Thanks for looking!

Speedy

sinner

Very nice build Speedy.. I think the batteries have some kind of problem, Or there is something wrong with the current supply otherwise i have never seen a green module reduce the output with such a slope, It is unstable at instantaneous readings but i think that's something else.. Change the batteries?

Nice work. What is the outer diameter of the fasttech module? Im guessing 12 mm if you didnt have to modify the host...?
As Sinner mentioned the output is kind of strange, as most 532's seem to hover and bounce around their peak value. If they get too hot or cold the output drops, and I was going to ask whether the module was tight in the host and properly thermally connected, but Im not sure it could be that, as the brass module would need a little more than 6 s to get warm...?:thinking:
TBH Id be surprised if it were the batteries at the currents the laser will be operating, they would have to be very bad quality bats. +1 :beer:

Laik

Nice build, i picked myself up a fasttech 50mW module just before they stopped selling them.

Battery was fully charged but sitting a while. Ill recharge it and see wjat it can do. Its sitting right in the head and the full module is in contact with the aluminum.

Still the weirdest 532 graph I have seen. Looks a little better with a fresh charge.

Blord

The output of the green lasers can be very erratic. It is just the nature of the DPSS laser.
I see Eudamonium still make this Phobos host. It is looking very good.

This is an old one I got from a member here. When I contacted Eudamonium a while ago he was no longer making them. Glad I got my hands on it. It is sweet. Just waiting on his next host :)

Blord

I still got an empty Phobos host. It must be laying somewhere. It is going to be a collector's item. :)

Update! I figured out away to get rid of the gap between the focus adapter and the body due to the 532 module sticking out.

Here's a better picture of the little lens nut glued to the focus adapter.

Screwed on all the way tight the module set screw is still visible. :( Couldn't figure out what to put inbetween the focus adapter and the body until now.

Was taking apart and old hard drive and happened upon the part you see in the middle. It's used to separate the platters on the spindle. Well it just so happens it fits PERFECTLY over the Phobos' body! Rubber o-rings are from a sink repair kit.

How bout that!

Cleans it up nicely. It's almost like it was supposed to be there.

sweet build! also if your using lithium ion battery's that can be messing with your output because the driver will heat up if your running it over 3V so I usually use some of those thermal pads on the driver and it helps.

Thermal pads? I'm running an 18350 so 4.2V. Have had it on for 5 minutes or so with no issue.

IsaacT

That is indeed some of the oddest graphs I have seen. Does the output visually change as drastically as the graphs? Sweet build though! +1 for the cool use of hard drive parts!

It seems "visually" stable. And that's all I'm really worried about with this one. I just l;ove this host. Even more so now that I have filled that gap!

norbyx

Briliant idea on filling in that gap in the host, looks like it was always ment to be like that.
As for the graph, well I have had strange graphs with my green WL as well but truthfully not "that" strange...