Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

PHASER diodes! HELL YAA!!

I hope all you NOOBS, builders and experimenters understand what DDL has posted. This is what science is about. Calibration and testing to establish baseline data. Without this testing, new info is worthless.
Amazing what information one new meter will provide. I hope those of you on the LPM GB enjoy this hobby to a greater extent soon.

Mike

S

SenKat

Off topic replies have been moved to [link=http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1191040675]This Thread[/link]

Kenom

so are you going to drive the phaser at upwards of 400ma? I'd like to see what this can take. Are you using the peltiers for every test?

Daedal

I've done a complete test without peltier cooling up to 340mA and ended up with 196.3mW (I'm going to revisit this for a second run).

I've done a complete test WITH peltier cooling and pushed up to 520mA to get 270.8mW (aligns almost perfectly with Mike's curves for the 20x diode)

I've also done a control test on the GB diodes.

I'm not going to be pushing these more than that especially since they are not my diodes... so I just wanted to supply everyone with the data, and them move on from there. At 340mA the diode started to get hot, and at 520mA the TEC was barely keeping up (I had to push it's current higher to keep it cooling). Although, The same test done while the diodes was on a nice big aluminum block at room temperature resulted in the diodes staying cool for almost a minute. With enough heatsinking, these can be run with 1-minute duty cycle at 500mA and would be outputting around 250-270mW peak and would probably heat up and average around 230-250mW.

The difference between a cold diode and a hot diode only gave an increase of only about 10-15 mW which makes it a good candidate for 'pointer' use :D

--DDL

Kenom

well, these are sounding like they are going to be nice diodes. Unfortunetly the cost is prohibitive of buying lots of them but like all things in life if you want better your going to pay for it. I would be interested in seeing beamshots and dotshots of both the GB diodes and this one side by side to see the comparison between the two. You indicate that they are much brighter and I'd like to see that. (not that I don't believe you)

Gazoo

Yeah, the difference in brightness is really what I want to see since it looks as if the open cans can hold their own with this diode, and I have a couple of open cans I have yet to put to use.

vizp

Affordable phaser? It's gotta happen somehow! Thanx, DDL, for the giant steps..with solid data already..and more on its way!

Daedal said:
With enough heatsinking, these can be run with 1-minute duty cycle at 500mA and would be outputting around 250-270mA peak and would probably heat up and average around 230-250mA.

--DDL

Great work on this Daedal, awesome work with the data collection. Quick question, did you mean 250-270 mW peak and 230-250mW average? I'm guessing that was just a typo.

And when you say with enough heatsinking, do you mean simply passive heatsinking, or active cooling?

-Dough

Daedal

Thank you for picking that up Dough. Yes... it is mW not mA.

As about the heatsinking, I did mean passive heatsinking in a pointer-style setup :) With a big enough aluminum/copper block this could be run easily at that power for a longer duty cycle. :D

--DDL

Daedal

I'm also sorry guys that I have not done much on this in terms of testing and reporting... but I have had the flu for the past couple of days... hence the sporadic posts and me hardly keeping up with the forum. I hope to update everyone soon once the dayquil-nyquil-tylenol diet is over :-[

--DDL

No worries mate....and stay tuned Daedal... remember that MXDL DIY flashlight you posted? I'm gonna have a SICK heatsink made for that that will actually screw onto the front of it. Pics to come very soon, and if interest is high enough I can make a bunch for people. I'm pretty pumped.

-Dough

H

High_Octane

Daedal said:
I'm also sorry guys that I have not done much on this in terms of testing and reporting... but I have had the flu for the past couple of days... hence the sporadic posts and me hardly keeping up with the forum. I hope to update everyone soon once the dayquil-nyquil-tylenol diet is over :-[
--DDL
TAKE YOUR TIME AND GET BETTER!

LarryQ

Sounds like you've been burning the candle at both ends lately Dae...
No wonder you got sick!

Take care of yoursef...get well soon....

Larry

DoughDTD said:
No worries mate....and stay tuned Daedal... remember that MXDL DIY flashlight you posted? I'm gonna have a SICK heatsink made for that that will actually screw onto the front of it. Pics to come very soon, and if interest is high enough I can make a bunch for people. I'm pretty pumped.

-Dough
if it works as a good heatsink for making a laser from the diodes senkat sent me, then i'm possibly interested :)