Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Pgl 589 gb, dead in the water.

That's a beauty of a laser Alex, thanks for posting these here!
Speaking of 593, I was looking at the LaserGlow 593.5 Vega today. Maybe some day but that is one expensive wl!!!! $1200 for 10mW!
I'm getting bit by the rare wl bug.

Thanks man! Funny how fog can make a 2mW 593.5 look like one of CNI's 700mW labbies :D

-Alex

Re: PGL-III-C-589 80mW feeler

Can you put my name on the list - from your other thread I may be too late but we'll see.

Update on GB feeler- Here is a copy paste from another thread about low risk GB. Im going to post ideas in this thread now that I think we could have a shipper to try to keep things organized. I came up with an idea that from all my reading today seems like the best coarse of action with the lowest risk and also keeps cost way down especially for US buyers. Here you go.

Here is my idea. So far all but one buyer is from the States so its not optimum to have the lasers sent to the UK where they will face some of the highest duties and taxes of most major countries I have read up on. Plus then the bounce shipping is also very expensive. What would be most ideal is to have the shipment go to Canada specifically B.C. Vancouver which is only a 5 hour drive from where I live.

I have close and trustworthy friends of my wife and I that live in the city. If they, or a trusted LPF member that lives in the area would be willing to receive the package, I can drive up and bring them back here to the states. Then all but one of the relay shipping would be continental shipping rates and much lower taxes. Even Clansley would save money because I could send him his as a gift and therefore it won't be subject to taxation and duty. So I am considering being the one shipping the lasers if people trust me and this idea. I would need to talk to my wife, which i doubt she will be anything but happy for us, and lay down some up front agreements.

Honestly it seems a lot less of a risk driving across a border with them opposed to dealing with customs via the post. I would rather deal with immigration than customs any day. There may be a few details Id like to work out but not now nor here.

Pro's-
-Low taxes or duty as Canada has trade agreements with China.
- less risk of things getting lost in international shipping
- cheaper continental shipping rates for those in the US
- We would have our bounce shipper and could move forward with the GB

Con's-
-???

Can anyone see any problems with this idea please speak up.

I love how you seem to have a different idea of distance than I do. I can't imagine anyone here saying "it's only a 5 hour drive away", I consider a 2 hour drive to be long!

Thanks for your help,
Chris

Lol! You sound just like my wife! I just chuckled and told her what you said and she said "hell yeah, 5 hrs in Birmingham and you'd be in Scotland"! I forget what a big country this place is some time. lol!

Okay guys I have some hard numbers. The duties and taxes for 10 lasers declared value at $5850 plus $150 shipping from CNI and ins. $6000.00 total

England-
Duties and taxes- $1643.00
Canada-
Duties and taxes- $348.00

Estimated total cost per laser with all fee, taxes, ins and shipping would be
England-$804.00 per laser
Canada- $655.00 per laser (International buyers will owe another $10-20 on top)

So there you go guys. I think these numbers are pretty sound and if anything on the high side. I hope this encourages people to treat themselves to a really good opportunity and enjoy one of the most beautiful wl available!

To answer clansley questions,
Yes I could repackage and test them before they ship out in case any are DOA. My scientech lpm is being calibrated by Cyparagon now. So im sure ill have it back by then and wpild be happy to meter them and label them with power rating

Last edited:

Thanks for the break down in cost. Crossing the border into Canada to pick them up and bringing them back I wouldn't be too worried about. It's getting them through Canadian customs I'd be worried about. RHD warned me about shipping a completed lasers.

Hm something to think about.

Thanks for the break down in cost. Crossing the border into Canada to pick them up and bringing them back I wouldn't be too worried about. It's getting them through Canadian customs I'd be worried about. RHD warned me about shipping a completed lasers.

Hm something to think about.

O really? Glad you mentioned that I wasn't aware Canada was a tough nut about lasers. Does anyone know if CNI has ever shipped incomplete lasers? If not we have a problem.
Damn!

Encap

O really? Glad you mentioned that I wasn't aware Canada was a tough nut about lasers. Does anyone know if CNI has ever shipped incomplete lasers? If not we have a problem.
Damn!

See post #2 here. http://laserpointerforums.com/f44/canada-laser-laws-89358.html

Hint, GB does not mean group ship.

PS Shipping something as a gift does not mean no duty----duty is based on value of the item being shipped--- Customs does not care is a gift or not--something for nothing doesn't exist in the real world, never did never will.

Last edited:

See post #2 here. http://laserpointerforums.com/f44/canada-laser-laws-89358.html

Hint, GB does not mean group ship.

PS Shipping something as a gift does not mean no duty----duty is based on value of the item being shipped--- Customs does not care is a gift or not--something for nothing doesn't exist in the real world, never did never will.

Thank you encap that's pretty helpful. I was just sitting down to research the import restrictions for Canada so you made my life a lot easier. Looks like I am back to the drawing board.

I also was under the assumption that GB meant group shipping but even if CNI would ship them individually this is still a big problem as 6 out of the 7 buyers lives in the U.S. I am going to now research what countries would be the best option to receive the shipment. If anyone cares to make my life easier tonight and knows the answer I would appreciate some suggestions.

Stay positive guy's this is just a bump in the road. I will do my best to figure out some other options but this is disappointing. The first thing I want to do is contact Yang at CNI and see if they would ship them incomplete. I read in a post a month ago that CNI actually offered to do this for them. Its worth an email to find out.

Put me on the list. :D
You're on, thank you.

Last edited:

I don't have the $600 to drop on one of these, but I think they are awesome. I'll get my hands on a 589 some day.

I don't have the $600 to drop on one of these, but I think they are awesome. I'll get my hands on a 589 some day.

Good news. CNI will ship the lasers in 3 pieces to Canada, Unfortunately they still can't ship these to the U.S. so it looks like the wife and I will be visiting beautiful Vancouver, B.C. in the near future hopefully.

We are close to having the 10 buyers we need so if you are considering this GB but don't wish to have your name on the public list feel free to PM me so I can have an accurate assessment of our progress. You would just be a maybe but it would help to know. We only need 4 more confirmed buyers to move on the the next phase.
Thank you.
Jeff

Last edited:

Jeff have you resolved you own questions yet I.e. impact due to your selfemployment? If so then maybe this should go from feeler status to a real gb? Not sure if you're meant to start a new thread for this and people adding themselves there will be how they confirm themself as really wanting to buy.

Jeff have you resolved you own questions yet I.e. impact due to your self employment? If so then maybe this should go from feeler status to a real gb? Not sure if you're meant to start a new thread for this and people adding themselves there will be how they confirm themselves as really wanting to buy.

I haven't gotten to speak with my accountant but I am sure there is a way to prove this money was not income. I just need to ask him what I have to do or get in writing from the buyers and double check with him. Its tax season here so he hasn't gotten back to me but I only sent him an email yesterday.

I also still need to confirm with my friends in BC that they will be around to receive the shipment. I was first waiting to hear from more buyers if this was an acceptable method and feel comfortable with me handling the money and the shipping before I called them but since nobody has said nay I am assuming people are cool with it. We can move on to the actual GB probably by the weekend.'
I will go ahead and say officially that if I am the one doing the buy and shipping I would feel more comfortable capping the GB at 10 people. Its a lot of responsibility. I am also considering writing CNI when we have 8 confirmed buyers and see if we can place the order. So if you are considering buying please keep an eye out for a last call in the event this happens and they allow us to order.

Last edited:

I presume even if the money was taken into account, the payment of the lasers would then be a cost and the two cancel out - zero profit and therefore no tax. But you clearly would want that from the tax guy :)

You should not feel pressured to do anything you don't want to do - if 10 is where you feel happy then let that be. You're helping us - we are happy with what ever you want to do, you've already helped a ton with the research!

Re shipping in 3 bits - does that increase shipping costs? When they are reassembled will you have packaging to ship the whole unit? [i.e. the parts could be shipped in small boxes rather than a laser sized box]

You should not feel pressured to do anything you don't want to do - if 10 is where you feel happy then let that be. You're helping us - we are happy with what ever you want to do, you've already helped a ton with the research!

Re shipping in 3 bits - does that increase shipping costs? When they are reassembled will you have packaging to ship the whole unit? [i.e. the parts could be shipped in small boxes rather than a laser sized box]

Thanks buddy I appreciate your'e understanding.
Thats a good question and I will ship the lasers how ever you guys ask me to. I may ask people to kick down a few dollars so I can purchase quality packing materials. I guess we need to hear from other what they want, ie me to assemble and test them or to ship em as I got them, other than re-packaged.

Oh one more thing, Yang has instructed me that they won't have power rating warning labels on them which is good news to me. I was going to remove them anyhow and declare them as flashlights.

So I guess now is a good time to bring up the agreements I want to lay out up front. I will have a master list of address's for each buyer I will ask you all to verify when the time comes as being correct. I will ship the lasers how ever you want, and declare them as you wish as well for international post. They will be tracked and insured and I will take a picture of the package just before its put in the postal system. Then I am no longer responsible or liable. What ever happens after they leave my hands is out of my control. This is why I want each buyer to instruct me in writing how they wish them to be shipped, to where, and how declared. I feel this is fair.

Also these will be shipped in 3 pieces so I won't be able to meter them and I would probably prefer not to assemble them. If people feel this is a deal breaker and want there's assembled and tested okay but I will not then disassemble them if soldering is involed. In other words I don't want to mess with these lasers any more than absolutely necessary for obvious liability reasons. If your gets assembled and metered it will be shipped as a complete laser.

If anything sounds out or ordinary or people wish to discuss this further please fell free to PM me.
I feel it is safe to move onto the GB now and have changed the title accordingly. Im very pleased this seems to be working out very well.
Thanks

Editedto add- cni has sent me pics of the disassembled lasers in 3 parts but my photbucket is not loading them for some reason. I will try again after workso you can all see. It appears like no soldering will be involved so i might be able to testthem after all. Stand by.

Last edited:

gozert

Re: PGL-III-C-589 80mW GB

I might be willing to participate on the GB, but I can't say for sure yet. I hope to be able to say whether I'm in or not before the weekend.

Re: PGL-III-C-589 80mW GB

cni has sent me pics of the disassembled lasers in 3 parts but my photbucket is not loading them for some reason. I will try again after workso you can all see. It appears like no soldering will be involved so i might be able to testthem after all. Stand by.

they probably will just send them host, module, and lens mount.