Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

PERMANENT THREAD: Ebay& other internet FINDS of interest- read all the OP please sub

Well, I've used it that high. Maybe it isn't some kind of photocell, in that case, but it is shiny and appears to be like glass with a bluish tint.

Philipnzw

1566093576868.png

Nothing of substance but heres a NUGM03 with the ball lens removed and replaced with a standard windowed can.

Translation : Product discription: This product originates from a NUGM03 bank disassembly, removed gball lens setup, added normal window can. 2 versions available which are ( "added light fiber" and "" not added light fiber" )
God knows what they mean when they say light fiber. I have asked the sellers but can't get a good confirmation on what the "light fiber" stuff is.

i believe trinh has bought similar NUBM08s before and he said they were trash and died.
Seeing how the NUGM03 does just fine being de-canned, i think this is nothing but a cool novelty.

Last edited:
I wonder if they make a fiber coupled cap similar to this?

Screen-Shot-2019-08-18-at-8-21-13-AM.png

A can would keep the diode facet protected from being damaged by dust, if you burn that, it's done, if you burn the window you have another chance to use it, if de-canned.

Philipnzw

I wonder if they make a fiber coupled cap similar to this?

Screen-Shot-2019-08-18-at-8-21-13-AM.png

A can would keep the diode facet clean, if you burn that, it's done, if you burn the window you have another chance to use it, if de-canned.

Ah I think that must be what they are saying. So yeah there are normal window versions and also ones with fiber couple adaptors.

Maybe if a few of these fiber adaptor canned NUGM03s are used with some kind of fiber combiner, we can get multiwatt greens. 🤔
So it ain't a novelty after all.

I've wanted to try feeding fibers from three 1 watt green diodes bundled together at the focal length of a large lens for a long time now, if they indeed do offer that I might try it. The beam pattern would not be pure (edit: not that it would be anywhere near so with a single MM diode), but might be worth it. Not sure how well that might work out because even with professional fiber combined outputs fused closely together much closer than I could make three individual fibers combine, the beams separate in the far distance even then, they are parallel, but clearly seen as distinct beams at the end of a sky shot, as you can see in the photo, below.

Regardless, I believe it might be possible as a hobbyist to get the beams far closer together with individual fibers than a knife edge. Even if aligning the fiber output angles would be tedious when bundled as tightly together as I can get the ends, I'd like to try. Might not work out, but if it does :)

808 nm FAP800 IR output.

Last edited:

Philipnzw

I've wanted to try feeding fibers from three 1 watt green diodes bundled together at the focal length of a large lens for a long time now, if they indeed do offer that I might try it. The beam pattern would not be pure (edit: not that it would be anywhere near so with a single MM diode), but might be worth it. Not sure how well that might work out because even with professional fiber combined outputs fused closely together much closer than I could make three individual fibers combine, the beams separate in the far distance even then, they are parallel, but clearly seen as distinct beams at the end of a sky shot, as you can see in the photo, below.

Regardless, I believe it might be possible as a hobbyist to get the beams far closer together with individual fibers than a knife edge. Even if aligning the fiber output angles would be tedious when bundled as tightly together as I can get the ends, I'd like to try. Might not work out, but if it does :)

808 nm FAP800 IR output.

Gee is that a fiber coupled IR laser? Sure looks like the beams separate out again after some distance. I'll send you the link of this oddly configured diode through PM in a moment. But since it's a Chinese seller, be prepared for some things to get lost in translation.

I translated that page to show the same thing you found, two configurations, with a simple window and with a fiber coupling.

"Baby description Product introduction: The product comes from the Japanese NUGM03 bank dismantling, to collimate, and flatten the window cap. It is divided into two types: plus fiber and no fiber."

I will reach out to them and see if they might understand I would like a photo of the latter. Maybe if these Chinese diodes are cheap, I will get what I pay for, but might be OK. You can google 520 nm fiber coupled diode and find lots of products, but so far I have not found any high power fiber coupled diodes for green and nothing low enough priced to get me to bite either.

Last edited:

Philipnzw

I translated that page to show the same thing you found, two configurations, with a simple window and with a fiber coupling. I will reach out to them and see if they might understand I would like a photo of the latter. There are lots of fiber coupled offerings on the market for green, but nothing cheap. Maybe if these Chinese diodes are cheap, I will get what I pay for, but might be OK. You can google 520 nm fiber coupled diode and find lots of products, but so far I have not found any high power diodes for green.

There are tons of stuff to be found on taobao. However, it is always risky to buy there as warranty is a PITA. For being a modded diode, I think 560RMB is a good price, just a tad more than the original NUGM03.

Received two of these just before going out on my trip I'm on now, you can get a better price going to his online store than on ebay, he rarely lists everything in his store on ebay & has stock to sell separate from those listings:

Sweet, I would like to have one with all the missing optics but been spending most my extra cash on another hobby, would like to see one lit up, are you going to try powering one up intact ? Possibly making a working array with some additional optics/mirrors ?

Yes, I'd like to power one up as is to produce a lot of power at ~410 nm, but I'm more interested in seeing how efficient the AR coatings might be at 450-465 nm, or even green. I've also been looking at single mode and low power MM green 5.6 mm diodes, they would be easiest with the existing hardware, but how much loss with the wrong lens coatings. I unpacked the engines I received just before heading to the airport, didn't have time to open them up to get a better look at those multiple rows of what I had earlier thought were collimation lenses, I'm not sure what is in them now as each of those laser diode assemblies have their own collimator in them, maybe beam steering windows? Maybe not, as each diode assembly already has a servo controlled window in them to steer the beam a couple of mm one way or the other.

Screen-Shot-2019-08-19-at-12-28-10-PM.png

Edit: I was tossing around the idea of using higher power MM diodes too, but I just realized there might be a beam geometry problem with higher power diodes due to their wider stripes a few minutes ago, edited out some of my other ideas which might not be possible due to this issue.

Last edited:
This will probably only be an item of interest because the price isn't cheap, but here's a listing for 20 watts of beam corrected blue:

• Wow
Reactions: GSS

GSS

There's not even a bid option it seems??
Stupid question, you can just hold the head of the fiber optic tip at the end of the cable and move it around and point it where ever you want?