Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

PERMANENT THREAD: Ebay& other internet FINDS of interest- read all the OP please sub

GSS

Re: PERMANENT THREAD: Ebay& other internet FINDS of interest- read all the OP please

I call it like I see it and for a good reason, in this case RT uses flashlight drivers with strobe mode and it is likely hard on the LD, also the 7875 is a good diode but typically overdriven, so anyone not savvy about overdriven LD lifespan and driver selection can benefit from what myself and paul feel is fair information to share, just look at as more money left on the table for you, or complain about a valid and informative critique and look butthurt....again, just calling it like I see it. :)
A bit late but exactly this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^:) Dtr is selling new 7875's for $50 also.

Last edited:

Re: PERMANENT THREAD: Ebay& other internet FINDS of interest- read all the OP please

Man, that first Melles Griot 488nm looks pretty good at $125, diachi. Even though it is sold "as is" it looks to be in good shape and you can't knock the price. Wish I had the driver for these. I would consider jumping on that one.

Yeah, Angelos has some collectable lasers. I just don't have the funds to justify buying a complete system like he often has. It's a shame he hasn't posted here in such a long time.

As he said, pairing these heads with the right controller is very difficult to do. If I were to buy that head, my only option would be to build a driver for it.

Last edited:

I just went through all of the Melles Griot listings on eBay, although a large amount of items made by that company are listed, not a single controller found for this head, but I really didn't expect to find one :)

diachi

I just went through all of the Melles Griot listings on eBay, although a large amount of items made by that company are listed, not a single controller found for this head, but I really didn't expect to find one :)

You had more luck than I then, or you searched more thoroughly, one of the two. :D

As Paul said though, you might have issues without a matching set. Not sure how easy that'd be to get working. I know the 85-GHS series don't care too much about pairing, not sure how the 85-BBB series compare. Doubt the passwords I have for the 85-GHS series controllers work with the BBB series...

Still, for $125 that first one may be worth a stab. Really all you should need is temperature controller and a diode driver.

Yeah, a good reason to stay away from heads only. You could spend years looking for one and still come out with none.

Only be interested in it for the parts, no expectation to find a controller.

diachi

Only be interested in it for the parts, no expectation to find a controller.

Not sure how much use the parts would be on their own. Pump diode is 976nm and everything is specifically designed to double that, so coated for 976 and 488.

Would be fairly trivial to build a temperature controller and diode driver for it, hard part would be finding the temperature and current set points for the LD and xtal.

Last edited:

That would be my concern. I could build a driver and a TEC controller, but would have no idea where to set the diode's current or the temperature of the TEC. It would be a total gamble on my part to see if I could get it working properly without a manual or information on how this thing needs to be driven and controlled.

Hey, I just saw this is my 9000th post!

Last edited:

diachi

That would be my concern. I could build a driver and a TEC controller, but would have no idea where to set the diode's current or the temperature of the TEC. It would be a total gamble on my part to see if I could get it working properly without a manual or information on how this thing needs to be driven and controlled.

Hey, I just saw this is my 9000th post!

Yeah, it'd take some experimentation to get everything set correctly.

Congratulations on your 9,000th post! :wave:

9K, naw, wait tell 10K to celebrate :p

OK, I bit, bought that thing, I've played around with diodes and crystals before setting the temperature of their TEC's, doesn't scare me off, and the diode current can be determined easy enough starting small and seeing where it stops to produce much more power, backing off from there.

Good luck to you, Chris. I hope it is a working unit.

Thanks, diachi.

Looks good, I like the anamorphic lens pair inside, even if the diode doesn't work, nice parts with that and a TEC and all, fiber coupled too. I have parts from some other DPSS lasers to mess with too, have them here with me in Qatar.

diachi

9K, naw, wait tell 10K to celebrate :p

OK, I bit, bought that thing, I've played around with diodes and crystals before setting the temperature of their TEC's, doesn't scare me off, and the diode current can be determined easy enough starting small and seeing where it stops to produce much more power, backing off from there.

Probably 1-2W, Vf should be 1.8-2.1V.