Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Peregrine - The Free, Open Source LPM Interface

I have used this in the past on this computer, any idea what has happened that i now just get this error.

I did update to the latest Java, in the path specified there is a shortcut or link exe to where the program is located.

Just got your message through LPF mail system.
I just got back from 3 weeks in Republic of Korea visiting family.

I think you are going to have to unlock the JAVA libraries and repair the link to the .exe. I am not completely sure if this will work. It won't hurt to try.
For whatever reason your new java can't source the files needed to run the applet. hence the error.

Are you running this on windows 10 ?

Please get back to me about this error if you have any progress on it. Thanks very much.

This is on win7 professional. I haven't upgraded to 10 yet though it is available.
java version 8 update 60
AVAST running. but tried disabling and no difference.

Also just tried this on two other PC's running the same version of Java same problem.

The odd part is the link seems correct.

I'll update once I try a few other things. Thanks

Last edited:
Also just tried on a win8 machine, it worked no problems. Wonder if win7 Pro is the reason? Or what it might be.

Pman

I haven't actually used the peregrine software in a very long time and still have the original. Must have been updated from then (sorry, didn't read through everything).
I need to use it soon though for someone so is there a direct link to the newest version? Thanks for the help without me looking through everything:)

DId anyone try using this on windows 10? i cant seem to figure it out :(

Greetings,,

EDIT: GOT IT :D

There is a solution in this topic:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...0/0a4f8e48-7135-4434-9d10-349c9ce87fcf?auth=1

It is posted by : ThierryDAVROUX replied on August 16, 2015

You need to down grade your driver to version 3.3 which is allready on your PC. Then all will work again on windows 10 :wave:

greetings,,

Last edited:

Trevor

I'm buried in grad student land these days... y'all that are keeping this working and figuring it out on new OS's are the best.

<3

Trevor

Does anyone have a working download link for Peregrine? I've tried many Dropbox links that do not work (can't find file or permission denied), and the openlpm.com domain does not seem to be operational any longer.

GitHub also does not have any projects named peregrine that look like the LPM software.

Thanks!

Trevor

Does anyone have a working download link for Peregrine? I've tried many Dropbox links that do not work (can't find file or permission denied), and the openlpm.com domain does not seem to be operational any longer.

GitHub also does not have any projects named peregrine that look like the LPM software.

Thanks!

I never put it on GitHub. I think I've got the latest version somewhere, I'll look for it!

Trevor

I uploaded the most recent version of the source I have to my Google Drive... not sure how long this link will stay alive, but it'll at least work for you! This is untested... haven't messed with this in years.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9tFIXmZg9quWTZrb1ZIOTJQczQ/view?usp=sharing

Trevor
Got it! Thanks... I should be able to muck my way around it. Just picked up a second hand Rubicon X and having some datalogger software known to work with it is a great head start over rolling something myself.

Are there notes in the archive about the OpenLPM protocol, or just the source code?

Trevor

Got it! Thanks... I should be able to muck my way around it. Just picked up a second hand Rubicon X and having some datalogger software known to work with it is a great head start over rolling something myself.

Are there notes in the archive about the OpenLPM protocol, or just the source code?

Had to confirm via the Rubicon source, but there's only two data packet types:

Code:
d <POWER_IN_MILLIWATTS>\n

Code:
sp <POWER_THRESHOLD> <TIME_IN_MS>\n

The sp packet communicates with Peregrine to set up the same test on your PC as is set up on the LPM. The parameters it sends are in a menu on the Rubicon somewhere, I think in the serial section maybe?

I originally intended to flesh out the OpenLPM protocol more, but honestly it was pointless. There isn't a whole lot you really need to do! :p

EDIT: Whoops, in checking the source I found another packet type, just "s" - which starts a test without sending parameters to the PC... I think the parameters that are entered on the PC side are used in that case.

Trevor

Last edited:
Had to confirm via the Rubicon source, but there's only two data packet types:

Code:
d <POWER_IN_MILLIWATTS>\n

Code:
sp <POWER_THRESHOLD> <TIME_IN_MS>\n

The sp packet communicates with Peregrine to set up the same test on your PC as is set up on the LPM. The parameters it sends are in a menu on the Rubicon somewhere, I think in the serial section maybe?

I originally intended to flesh out the OpenLPM protocol more, but honestly it was pointless. There isn't a whole lot you really need to do! :p

EDIT: Whoops, in checking the source I found another packet type, just "s" - which starts a test without sending parameters to the PC... I think the parameters that are entered on the PC side are used in that case.

Trevor
Yup, got it now in serial.pde (and was going to ask about the "s" record ;) ).

Thanks again!

94Z28

There will be a mirror on my site shortly for this software, I like it.. Also put the OP on my blog for some friends to reference back here.

http://hobbylp.com/Peregrine.zip (Uploading; be live in 30min or so. LMK if any issues with this link)

I really wish I could get some time to port something like this over to an APK Android App for my Tablet; Would be sweeeet to have my Tablet hooked to LPM and not need a laptop everytime.

Trevor

There will be a mirror on my site shortly for this software, I like it.. Also put the OP on my blog for some friends to reference back here.

http://hobbylp.com/Peregrine.zip (Uploading; be live in 30min or so. LMK if any issues with this link)

I really wish I could get some time to port something like this over to an APK Android App for my Tablet; Would be sweeeet to have my Tablet hooked to LPM and not need a laptop everytime.

I'd love to go back and do a rewrite of this, but wrapping up grad school and having a full-time job has sort of killed that. If you do decide to make moves, let me know and I'll try to help in any way I can.

If I could somehow stimulate the hobby LPM community a bit with some code or something... that'd be great. Getting rid of lasersbee/Jerry was the first step in having a healthy hobby LPM community, but the vacuum never really got filled and life got crazy for me and I think ARG as well.

Thinking about releasing some previously unreleased code, like what's on the Rubicon, or some side projects that were cool but never got off the ground. The whole goal of this project and a couple others was to help remove the barriers keeping people from making LPM's... which is why Jerry resisted it so heartily. :D

I appreciate you rehosting the files... it's like that famous quote, "Open source projects die two deaths. One, when the creator stops maintaining the code. The second comes when the links to all the source files are all 404."

Trevor