Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Peregrine - The Free, Open Source LPM Interface

Trevor

always problems with this stopid java...
ive re-installed it alot of times already, did it today again.
its definatly installed. both the 32 and 64 bit versions, also tried removing one of them.
Testing it in browsers and it works.

Hm. Someone with your exact problem was posting in the Processing forum - seems that you need the 32-bit version of Java (due to RxTx)?

Problems exporting app on 64bit system using 32bit processing using Serial library - Processing Forum

I'll keep looking for a solution. Haven't had anyone else have this problem before.

Trevor

Updating it usually helps :)

doesnt work, and desame error as before pops in...
Error: could ot create the Java Virtual machine
Error: a fatal exeption has occured. Program will exit.

already tried chancing to -Xms64m -Xmx512m didnt do any good either.

So the other error is gone now. probaly because i forced removed java and all asociated files and register thingies and plugins etc, rebooted, and reinstalled newest version from their site.

Last edited:

Trevor

Okay. Here's a new download:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6083542/Peregrine/Peregrine_1_5_0_4.zip

I altered the export settings to not specify ANY sort of memory requirement. Your error certainly points to your PC not wanting to give Java as much memory as it requests. How much physical RAM do you have?

If that doesn't work, I'm not sure how to proceed, because the issue is something specific to your computer.

Trevor

Last edited:
Okay. Here's a new download:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6083542/Peregrine/Peregrine_1_5_0_4.zip

I altered the export settings to not specify ANY sort of memory requirement. Your error certainly points to your PC not wanting to give Java as much memory as it requests. How much physical RAM do you have?

If that doesn't work, I'm not sure how to proceed, because the issue is something specific to your computer.

Trevor

works. straight away.

problem solved!

thanks for the super fast replies you guys!
now to wait for my LPM....

Last edited:

Trevor

works. straight away.

problem solved!

thanks for the super fast replies you guys!
now to wait for my LPM....

Okay, good. I wonder why Java wasn't allowed to set its maximum usage even at 512MB.

How much physical RAM do you have in your computer?

Trevor

Okay, good. I wonder why Java wasn't allowed to set its maximum usage even at 512MB.

How much physical RAM do you have in your computer?

Trevor

8gb. if you need me to conduct some tests to help you out, that would be no problem :)

Not wanting to sound like an asshole but I gotta ask why you decided not to add my changes (or, as I already offered, to merge your changes to mine). I added a lot of useful stuff, including some things that have been requested here before. Isn't this the purpose of open source after all?

If there's anything in particular you didn't like about my changes please let me know, we can probably work something out. IMHO having a fork is pretty bad for the users and I certainly don't plan to keep updating it because I've added pretty much everything that I really needed.

Trevor

Not wanting to sound like an asshole but I gotta ask why you decided not to add my changes (or, as I already offered, to merge your changes to mine). I added a lot of useful stuff, including some things that have been requested here before. Isn't this the purpose of open source after all?

If there's anything in particular you didn't like about my changes please let me know, we can probably work something out. IMHO having a fork is pretty bad for the users and I certainly don't plan to keep updating it because I've added pretty much everything that I really needed.

Honestly, it was out of sight and out of mind. For the last few months, I've spent maybe an hour here and there working on Peregrine. The last I heard, 1.4 was out for beta testing, but I never ended up hearing back from anyone about it one way or the other. I'll just operate under the assumption that no news is good news. :eek:

I'll fork a new version to get everything integrated. That will probably come out as a 2.0 release (with other changes, obviously), but sometime in late November or December. Most of my energy is going toward getting ready for a conference in Baltimore that starts on November 16.

Apart from minor updates, I'll let the master fork rest while I work on the 2.0 version.

Trevor

No worries!

Yeah, there hasn't been much feedback... TBH I suck at "advertising" anything, ever. Which is one of the reasons I'd like it merged back. Might be the only way for people to notice the changes ;)

why can peregrine only see a few com ports?
im trying to connect it to the LPM i bought...
While jerry's laserbee interface sees alot more com ports.
peregrine only has com1, 13 and 14 as available options.

i see 13 and 14 are for bluetooth in device manager.

and checking upon properties of the device im trying to connect to, it sits on COM port 25.
cant select that one in peregrine.

EDIT: made the LPM go to COM2. then peregrine found the com2 as well. tried to connect and the button went red, giving the option to disconnect.
although upon trying to get a reading, it doesnt work. it does not show any reading. the display shows the reading on the LPM, but the pc does not show it.

EDIT2: EagleEye also does not show any reading incoming. it says "no signal" on com port 2.

and windows lists the device under "unknown devices", if that makes a difference.

EDIT3: peregrine also shows "kenometer handshaken: false.."

Last edited:

ARG

Try the older version maybe? It could be a problem with the new auto detect protocol feature of Peregrine.

Try the older version maybe? It could be a problem with the new auto detect protocol feature of Peregrine.

hmmm...where's the download link?
it should also work for eagle eye, and eagle eye also doesn't work at all.

SKeeZ

At this point i am seriously considering getting an LPM. I have your awesome software and i really want to be able to use it ...