Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Peregrine and Arduino help

Pman

I haven't used the program in forever and tried on 2 different computers windows 7 and the program will open but I can't get any reading. I haven't done anything like this in so long it looks like I need to be spoon fed on what to do. I could have sworn I wrote something up with the correct order in which the Arduino needed to be connected and turned on along with Peregrine to make it all work.
Lets start with the laptop which used to have peregrine on it and worked but at some point I think I did a do-over because I didnt have peregrine on it anymore.
I downloaded and installed Peregrine and it is running and it says [Debug Mode] with a whole lot of stuff including numbers that keep changing.
The old software used to give you a choice under meter and I would select OpenLPM but there's no choices now. Everything else seems the same. I see COM3 as the only selection and refresh doesn't add any others. I can hit connect and monitor adn is says monitoring but I'm not showing a reading and its the same when you tell it to measure.
The thing is that I get all of that to happen anyways without the Arduino being connected. I think my problem is actually getting the Arduino to be recognized. So, is there something I have to run first so that the Arduino gets recognized? Could have sworn I had to run Arduino software to get it to work. If that is the case then I need the exact thing to download and instructions instead of "yes you need to do that";)

Last edited:

Pman

Re: Peregrine help

Well I downloaded and installed the Arduino software but now what do I do with it? What is selected is Port/com 3, Arduino/Genuino Uno and Programmer AVRISP mkII. What do I do to test if the Arduino will transmit and receive?

Rivem

Re: Peregrine help

Well I downloaded and installed the Arduino software but now what do I do with it? What is selected is Port/com 3, Arduino/Genuino Uno and Programmer AVRISP mkII. What do I do to test if the Arduino will transmit and receive?

Edit: Do this. COM 3 is correct in the Peregrine Software, so if it doesn't work, you've probably got a configuration issue. If you had the code on the Arduino, you could reflash the program, but I don't think your issue is on the arduino side if it doesn't work.

For now, see if your Peregrine software will run with the IDE open. Some arduino-interfacing software will run this way.

Edit: As far as order goes it's usually been IDE & Arduino first, interface program second.

Last edited:

Pman

I don't understand why peregine doesn't give me the option of which kind of LPM to select unless I'm missing some other file or program I need to run.

Rivem

I don't understand why peregine doesn't give me the option of which kind of LPM to select unless I'm missing some other file or program I need to run.

Edit: I was wrong. Go into the arduino IDE and check the serial monitor option. If nothing's happening in it, something's wrong with the arduino's program. Make note of the baud and that it matches Peregrine.

Last edited:
Hi Pman,
When i got my Laserbee7+ I downloaded the peregrine and i also had to down load the new adobe reader and mine worked fine . but i have no idea about your Arduino

Rich:)

Pman

I'll take another look. Mine was an original first run Arduino by Arg and Trevor. There should be something simple that I'm missing here. I thought a lot of members were still using the Peregrine software to measure and would know what was wrong right away. In a much older version of peregrine you had to select between a few choices of LPM such as OpenLPM and laserbee but there is no choice now even though "meter" can be clicked on. Nothing comes up when you click on it and that is why I wondered if that was the issue. Can't help but think I'm missing a file that adds LPM types so you can pick the correct one or it won't work.
I'll check what you asked me to but what program actually proves you have the Arduino Uno connected when you plug it into a USB slot as in I will see the TX and rx indicators light up on the board? Does the Arduino program do that or is it Peregrine or both? I'm my head I see it as something simple to try like you plug the Arduino into USB, start a program and make them handshake with a push of a button to test the connection. Doesn't seem like this should be complicated.

Rivem

I'll take another look. Mine was an original first run Arduino by Arg and Trevor. There should be something simple that I'm missing here. I thought a lot of members were still using the Peregrine software to measure and would know what was wrong right away. In a much older version of peregrine you had to select between a few choices of LPM such as OpenLPM and laserbee but there is no choice now even though "meter" can be clicked on. Nothing comes up when you click on it and that is why I wondered if that was the issue. Can't help but think I'm missing a file that adds LPM types so you can pick the correct one or it won't work.
I'll check what you asked me to but what program actually proves you have the Arduino Uno connected when you plug it into a USB slot as in I will see the TX and rx indicators light up on the board? Does the Arduino program do that or is it Peregrine or both? I'm my head I see it as something simple to try like you plug the Arduino into USB, start a program and make them handshake with a push of a button to test the connection. Doesn't seem like this should be complicated.

Looking at the serial monitor in the Arduino software should show you that there is successful communication. I'm thinking there's an issue on Peregrine's side though.

Hopefully an expert user can chime in.

Pman

I am currently in Peregrine and what I noticed is that under all the information where it says [Debug Mode] it says:
Kenometer
Handshaken False
Attempts 5,844 It was climbing pretty fast and then stopped at that number so I would think its telling me that it is trying to handshake but failing.

I'll go back to Arduino and see if I can see what you are asking for.

K, in Arduino I can select Serial Monitor under Tolls. When I do a window pops up that says COM3 and it looks like you are supposed to write something and hit send. At the bottom there are 2 things you can select and one says Noline Ending and the other says 9600 baud which I'm guessing are the default settings but what do I know lol

It shows Com3 and 9600 in Peregrine too.

Last edited:

Rivem

I am currently in Peregrine and what I noticed is that under all the information where it says [Debug Mode] it says:
Kenometer
Handshaken False
Attempts 5,844 It was climbing pretty fast and then stopped at that number so I would think its telling me that it is trying to handshake but failing.

I'll go back to Arduino and see if I can see what you are asking for.

K, in Arduino I can select Serial Monitor under Tolls. When I do a window pops up that says COM3 and it looks like you are supposed to write something and hit send. At the bottom there are 2 things you can select and one says Noline Ending and the other says 9600 baud which I'm guessing are the default settings but what do I know lol

It shows Com3 and 9600 in Peregrine too.

Well, I'll say you might want to PM somebody that has a similar setup or Trevor. To me it seems like ether the arduino needs an initiation command or Peregrine needs to be configured for OpenLPM. You might have to look through some documentation. That's all I can say for now.