Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Pen sized lasers or Big chunky lasers

What do you pefer? (If they are the same amount of mWs)

*no duty cycle just the feeling and size*

Big chunky and heavy lasers?

Small portable pen lasers?

Thank you.

This is also a comparison between 250mw 520nm and 1.8-2W 445nm Power.

Last edited:

About the size of a lipstick or Magik Marker would be ideal since I use them as engravers

I suppose something medium sized. I have 3 pens and they are ok but I don't plan on having anymore. Of the lasers I built, the smallest one is a C6, my next build is something you would call big chunky and heavy however I am not sure that's what I would normally want unless it was a very powerful laser that needed extra good heat sinking or if I wanted it to have a long duty cycle.

Alan

About the size of a lipstick or Magik Marker would be ideal since I use them as engravers

As I know for an engraver, they must go blue to be strongest. But for brightness and visibility, do you think a 250mw 520nm is close to 2W 445nm blue?

Hi L,
Well i can't decide I like them all Pen or Large. And as for the WL and mW's ill take all of them too.. You seen a few i built i just don't set my sights on a particular size host. Ill be building 2 Saik Sa 305's next both will be high power for WL . I just bought a Sinner MS V5 Copperhead press fit. And about 5 of Harolds host from him. So ill be busy for a little while.

Rich..:)

Hi L,
Well i can't decide I like them all Pen or Large. And as for the WL and mW's ill take all of them too.. You seen a few i built i just don't set my sights on a particular size host. Ill be building 2 Saik Sa 305's next both will be high power for WL . I just bought a Sinner MS V5 Copperhead press fit. And about 5 of Harolds host from him. So ill be busy for a little while.

Rich..:)

Do you have a picture of the copper head? I really like the 700mw 520 you built in an Harold host but I like smaller hosts better. For example, take a look at the guardian host from Sanwu which is the size or smaller of an lip stick can. For that kind of package, I have to admit, it's the best a host can go. I'm about to get one with the 200mw 520 rating and see how it goes.

For a high powered laser I tend to first think about proper/decent heatsinking and then I look for sleekness.
For lower power lasers I used to be all about compact design but over the years I guess I grew out of that.
To me if I can carry around a flashlight then I can carry the same sized laser.

Solely on looks: Pen style
That would be awesome if there was a pen style 5w+ laser that can run for a full minute.

Green trumps blue or red, medium to large size/ I've killed too many small 100mw pen lasers by running them too long, but I did buy a <5 mw Laserglow pen from LeHap and try as I may, it never dies? No, I'm not really trying.

I prefer ultra low divergence lasers, because of this the lens must have a much larger diameter, small lasers have small lenses, so for me, I like large lasers I can put high power diodes into with large enough batteries to give them a decent amount of run time.

Green trumps blue or red, medium to large size/ I've killed too many small 100mw pen lasers by running them too long, but I did buy a <5 mw Laserglow pen from LeHap and try as I may, it never dies? No, I'm not really trying.

I prefer ultra low divergence lasers, because of this the lens must have a much larger diameter, small lasers have small lenses, so for me, I like large lasers I can put high power diodes into with large enough batteries to give them a decent amount of run time.

There is a driver safety feature built in to the guardian host according to Podo, it will never let the diode overheat, which it automatically lowers the output due to time so I won't have to worry about that.

GSS

Most definitely green then blue and violet. Red has been around for so long it lost its appeal to me. As far as a host my biggest is a 501 so far but I think 1 size up would be the perfect feel Yellow is really starting to grow on me

Last edited:
Medium/small: C6, DX dilda and 501B are good examples. I will suffer a large host in some cases, but I tend to prefer things that can fit in my pockets ;)

I also love portable box hosts, but there aren't many out there.

Last edited: