Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

PC or Mac?

PC, I had a Mac '95 for a long time, but it was really slow. 3 years ago, it deleted it's own hard drive.

running a PC on linux (ubuntu to be specific) has been the best thing ive done technologically in a long time.

TheGr8Revealing said:
running a PC on linux (ubuntu to be specific) has been the best thing ive done technologically in a long time.

I really need to do this. I've been meaning to for a long time.

Omega

VillageIdiot said:
PC. I don't understand the hate towards Vista. Layout too fancy-ass for you? Change it.

Security system too naggy for you and asks your permission to do anything? You can tell it to STFU.

It really isn't that hard to navigate either if you use your damn brain for 5 minutes.

New software is being built for Vista these days, and sooner than you think XP wil become outdated. Just cut out the memory-hogging bits and you have a stable, usable system. I can run Crysis on full spec with no lag... and have never had a crash, BSoD, or any crap. But then again I have a good computer, perhaps average to mediocre computers don't perform well on it...
*humps leg*
finally someone gets it...

obviously enough, im a microsoft fanboy. been using windows since the age of three (man, MSPaint brought hours of fun).

im runing XP currently (also, need to update to sp3) and have had no problems with it. i havent jumped to vista due to some issues that havent been fixed yet, people often bash if for this but hey, when XP first came out it had its fair share of issues. though from my understanding microsoft kinda said "Screw it" and are coding windows 7 from scratch, optimizing the hell out of its HD footprint and memory usage.

i could go on and on about what i like about windows, but i dont have the time to type it, and no one would bother reading it. short and sweet, it works, it works with just about everything, i dont have to worry about compatibility and such, and it does all this nicely.

on the other hand, i could rage about how much i dislike apple immensely, but id rather not offend anyone i dont know. if i do know you, well then, ill knock your OS down, and kick dirt in its i's. (hah. get it. i's? like iPod and iMac and iMovie and iFail and such.)
well i thought it was funny :/

an artist himself has claimed photoshop and illustrator work just as well if not better on a PC, so the whole supposed "creative" advantage is a large load of bull.

not only do i not like the company and OS, but i absolutely hate their attitude. all "look at me, im shiny, you suck, go get a virus. i cant, so hah, lolololololololol." quite frankly, no one cares enough to write a virus for mac, thats comparable to the genocide of people with 11 fingers.

i believe im done here :p.

oh, and i do love linux, but it just isnt user friendly enough for the average consumer. most people have never opend CMD.

motorider826 said:
Imagine all the apple fanboys who are virus protection softwareless that would be brought to their knees if a legit mac virus surfaced....
When this happens, my life is complete. :cool:

VillageIdiot said:
PC. I don't understand the hate towards Vista. Layout too fancy-ass for you? Change it.

Security system too naggy for you and asks your permission to do anything? You can tell it to STFU.

It really isn't that hard to navigate either if you use your damn brain for 5 minutes.

New software is being built for Vista these days, and sooner than you think XP wil become outdated. Just cut out the memory-hogging bits and you have a stable, usable system. I can run Crysis on full spec with no lag... and have never had a crash, BSoD, or any crap. But then again I have a good computer, perhaps average to mediocre computers don't perform well on it...

Dude I wish I had your vista as mine is an unstable pos that doesn’t like to run
I try to run command and conquer and get serious errors every 3hrs. about once a week -2weeks it will crash on me and this is a nice $2k dell were running it on the security system is so over the top that some of my games don’t like to play on the internet even if I have all of windows safety shut down ..... and oh ya I have even had the Microsoft software (ms word and excel) lock up on me on vista now wtf?....now lets move on to the work computer $3k dell xps 420 quad processor with 4gb of ram 1gb of video card and I forgot what size hard drive but when using ArcGIS this thing shuts down on me every hour saying it has committed a serious error and now for some reason ATI graphics card and the os wont agree with each other and I am starting to get freak-out screen syndrome where I start to see random lines across my computer then it just shuts down.... oh and the vista help thing that says its looking for a solution to your problem is a freaking joke...and this is just the stuff I can think of off the top of my head (happened in the last 3 days basically :p )

But even with all this I bet you can’t believe that I voted for pc and that is for compatibility and xp is one solid os

lol my friend's Vista computer crashes when running command and conquer, unless he runs on the highest quality, and then it's really laggy and doesn't run well.
That's why I like XP the most.

i voted for pc simply because i haven't had enough time on a mac to get used to it but i absolutely love my ipod touch!

abadcaffeinetrip said:
One other thing to look at for historical value only:

15 years ago these computers had video-in and out capabilities.  I believe these were the machines the original Myst was created on.  

In 1998, I paid $500 for an video capture card for my PC to add the same capabilities...

Yes I have a 100/80AV Quadra, and they did. Btw, Hi I'm new here, love this site and this is my first post.
I think people like the first computer they own. My first computer was a Macintosh Performa 475 (system 7.5). Most people bought a PC first because they came out first. Most people also think PCs were the first to bring everything to the table.
Macs had the first: personal computer, color monitor, Floppy Disk Drive, speech technology, animation technology, mouse, plug and play, LaserWriter, foreign language support, color matching [screen, scanner, printer], sound support, sound input, virtual reality, 3.5 Disk Drive, virtual programming/HyperCard, CD-Rom, Built in Networking, Mouse, Built in Networking.
Macs bought and used the first GUI point and click interface from Xerox. Computers are what they are today because of this. If not for this we might* still be using MS-Dos (to some this might not be a bad thing). Also Macs were created by one man: Steve Wozniak [The Woz]. He invented, Built, and programmed all software for the first apple I and II by himself! Keep in mind it was the first of its kind, there was nothing to cross-reference or compare his work to. He built it in his garage to impress his friends and inadvertently changed the world.
One last thing you must have noticed, whenever Apple starts a trend, other companies tend to follow, for example they stopped using floppies and soon so did PCs. They made the first dual core computers (PPC970), soon Intel made Core 2 for PCs, etc. Other companies follow what they do but none more so than Microsoft. Windows examples: Trash - Recycle bin, Title bar - Start Menu, etc (there are many). They named their iMac and soon followed iVaccum, iPets, iEverything, also they began the entire iPod culture.
PCs aren’t bad, it’s Windows that screws up everything it is installed on. Also Macs are, for the moment, virtually virus free. I must have reinstalled Windows like 200 times for other people. It’s time I’ll never get back, I’ve memorized my XP cd key…
Ok so, that’s my reason, that’s my 2½ cents. Hope I didn’t make anyone mad, I’m not here to make enemies, quite the contrary, this site and its members seem pretty cool. See you on the forums.

Kenatron said:
Hi I'm new here, love this site and this is my first post.
shame your first post didn't count being that it was in the off topic section lol.

chimo

I had always had PCs until a few months ago. I didn't know too much about Macs before that time. Our daughter was starting a program that would be using Macs so I wanted to learn about them before she started her program. We opted to get a 24" iMac (she got a MacBook).

I have to say that it took a little while "un-learning" the round-about ways to accomplish tasks using Windows and learn how to do them on a Mac. I have used PCs for over 25 years. I am very comfortable using them. The Mac experience totally blows them away. That's the beauty of controlling both the hardware and the OS - you can make things work very well together. The drawback - slightly higher cost.

I still have a couple of PCs in the house and have a copy of XP installed on my iMac that I can run under VMWare Fusion if needed - I don't need to very often.

chimo said:
I had always had PCs until a few months ago. I didn't know too much about Macs before that time. Our daughter was starting a program that would be using Macs so I wanted to learn about them before she started her program.  We opted to get a 24" iMac (she got a MacBook).  

I have to say that it took a little while "un-learning" the round-about ways to accomplish tasks using Windows and learn how to do them on a Mac.  I have used PCs for over 25 years.  I am very comfortable using them. The Mac experience totally blows them away.  That's the beauty of controlling both the hardware and the OS - you can make things work very well together.  The drawback - slightly higher cost.

I still have a couple of PCs in the house and have a copy of XP installed on my iMac that I can run under VMWare Fusion if needed - I don't need to very often.

so which do you like better? I only ask because I notice things you said such as "accomplish tasks using Windows and learn how to do them on a Mac." But you also said "The Mac experience totally blows them away."
Making it sound like windows can still do many of the tasks easier, but something about Mac is better?

mikeeey said:
[quote author=Kenatron link=1205467519/60#61 date=1226132262]
shame your first post didn't count being that it was in the off topic section lol.[/quote]

lol, ya =P. What do you think of my argument though?

Kenatron said:
[quote author=mikeeey link=1205467519/60#62 date=1226179125][quote author=Kenatron link=1205467519/60#61 date=1226132262]
shame your first post didn't count being that it was in the off topic section lol.[/quote]

lol, ya =P. What do you think of my argument though?
[/quote]
I actually didn't know there were that many things Apple first used. HOWEVER, the iphone, makes me so ANGRY. They were not the first to use touchscreen technology, but so many people think they are now. Almost everyone seems to think the iphone was the first touchscreen phone, when really there were some pocket pc windows phones from the late 90's. I own a Windows Pocket PC, it's awesome!

Well, even if Apple was first to do most of those things back in the day, I still like windows more. The fact that it's more compatible with everything out there. I just like how you can do more with it.

If you has money to loose go Mac
If u has time to loose go linux
If u has both to loose go Xp