Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Pay to repair laser with <15 min of use?

I agree with FlamingPyro, indeed it is a good idea, and that is exactly what happened in this thread. Had any member with a little knowledge seen the sales post Sparkles made before he actually sold anything then I am certain he would have been confronted with his outrageous claims and use of OEM to try and avoid aftersales activities like support and proper warranties on his products. Hope this serves as a lesson to others that are thinking about selling a complete assembled product - Read up on rules and regulations before selling anything :)

Even OEM parts usually have manufacturer warranties. Typically the 'OEM' branding is used (by hobbyists and chinese manufacturers) to sideskirt FDA restrictions. However, you can only get away with this if it's indeed not a complete laser. If it's a whole working usable as intended device, requiring no other parts to operate.. then calling it OEM is pointless.. since well.. a spade is a spade reguardless of what else you may call it. With a labby there's a bit more leeway, however it would be hard to argue with the guys in suits that a battery powered handheld is 'OEM' and intended for use inside some other device.

Just got this PM from Flaminpyro...

Ok here's what I have found it looks like your diode is fine it is putting out 670mW @ 700ma input with no lens, that is great !

The driver was rewired and still dose not work so I'm afrade the bare wires must have cooked your driver by causing a short circuit, I will have to replace it so I will be ordering a new one right now.

jakeGT

Yeah go check out the old FS thread and look Ay the pics jeff took of the insides. The guy didn't use heat shrink or tape one time

Bare wires everywhere, and terrible solder joints, also his way of saying he used alot of thermal grease for best thermal dissipation, it's just crapped all over the inside of it everywhere!

Benm

So it turns out its not even the diode that got cooked :)

Still, this whole story is important. If you make claims on something you sell, you should repair the things if they break when used within parameters.

The most idiotic solution i read in this thread is to limit the duty cycle to 4 mins on, 1 minute off. Thats 80% on on average, it would be much more logical to drive the diode a little bit less hard or make the host a little bit bigger.

I'd suggest people don't give any guarantee on the diode life, its just not doable. You can say '1000 hours', but how do you check if that has been exceeded unless you build in a uC to log ontime? Perhaps you could guarantee the diode for a month, but much longer would be impossible since buyers -could- run the laser 24/7 at whatever duty cycle is specified. At 50% duty cycle you'd clock those 1000 hours in 3 months.

The upside is you can guarantee everything else for a year or more - its not likely that a well constructed host or driver would die within that timeframe, even if used continously.

So it turns out its not even the diode that got cooked :)

Still, this whole story is important. If you make claims on something you sell, you should repair the things if they break when used within parameters.

The most idiotic solution i read in this thread is to limit the duty cycle to 4 mins on, 1 minute off. Thats 80% on on average, it would be much more logical to drive the diode a little bit less hard or make the host a little bit bigger.

I'd suggest people don't give any guarantee on the diode life, its just not doable. You can say '1000 hours', but how do you check if that has been exceeded unless you build in a uC to log ontime? Perhaps you could guarantee the diode for a month, but much longer would be impossible since buyers -could- run the laser 24/7 at whatever duty cycle is specified. At 50% duty cycle you'd clock those 1000 hours in 3 months.

The upside is you can guarantee everything else for a year or more - its not likely that a well constructed host or driver would die within that timeframe, even if used continously.

The guy that sold the laser him, have already changed it him for one decent?

I've never been in favor on buy lasers built by someone here. I prefer buy in a online shop. But I not doubt on quality.

The guy that sold the laser him, have already changed it him for one decent?

I've never been in favor on buy lasers built by someone here. I prefer buy in a online shop. But I not doubt on quality.

I have bought from more than a few members on here and all purchases have gone well. You just have to do your homework and really know Who (as much as possible on a forum setting...) your buying from, then your sale will go well.

I have bought from more than a few members on here and all purchases have gone well. You just have to do your homework and really know Who (as much as possible on a forum setting...) your buying from, then your sale will go well.
Yes, alright, but it's like everything, I think gives more confidence buy in a recognized and reputation shop, like CNI, etc, to buy someone.

Toke

Same here.
It is my experience both from here and elsewhere that respected members are respected for a reason, and that they continuously do their best to live up to it.

That Sparkles created such an outrage is a sign of health, is shows that we are accustomed to fair dealing here.

Same here.
It is my experience both from here and elsewhere that respected members are respected for a reason, and that they continuously do their best to live up to it.

That Sparkles created such an outrage is a sign of health, is shows that we are accustomed to fair dealing here.

Yes, but has the problem been solved?

Last edited:
If you don't buy from some new guy with no rep, there is no problem. Legitimate and respectable builders will have feedback indicating such.

Granted everyone has to start somewhere, but it's still wise for newcomers to be active here a while before they jump into trying to sell stuff..

Last edited:
If you don't buy from some new guy with no rep, there is no problem. Legitimate and respectable builders will have feedback indicating such.

Granted everyone has to start somewhere, but it's still wise for newcomers to be active here a while before they jump into trying to sell stuff..

Yeah, if I would think on buy a build laser here, first I'll pose buy to reputation sellers and experienced guys in this, never to newcomers. Only have me reliance people with experienced here.

P.S.: lol I have written this last well? Sorry, but cost me search the correct word to the context. And some expressions, the translater doesn't understand correctly.

Last edited:

Toke

Yes, but has the problem been solved?

Not solved, but he have been stopped before he sold them all.
Hopefully he is now unable to sell them and still out of the materials cost.

There will be new scammers here, and newbies will be newbies, but the rest of us will hopefully be keeping an even more watchful eye on new sellers.